Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, bought myself a ContourHD 1080p Camera to record my adventures (more evidence for the prosecution)

The camera unit itself is small and lightweight at 4.3 ounces it is the smallest and lightest hands free video camera in the world and depending on the package bought comes with a variety of mounts. It is water resistant and made of hard wearing anodized aluminium. It is very easy to operate with gloves on and comes with a rotating front lens with twin lasers to easily align it to horizontal.

In its basic guise it comes with one flat surface mount (pic 3) and one goggles mount (snowboard or mx use comes to mind)
I personally have used the flat surface mount to stick to the fairing of the bike. It sticks with 3M sticky pads (1 extra supplied) and once on it really is stuck. The camera then is attached to the removable side of the mount with that plastic velcro of which i am obviously dubious but once clipped in it isnt going anywhere!

Video quality is fantastic and needs to be seen in HD (link below) and compared to normal bullet cams (no contest for the contourhd), and different camera settings can be changed with the supplied software for mac or pc.

Settings include full HD [email protected] 115 degrees wide angle, Tall HD [email protected] 135 degrees wide angle, Normal HD 720p30 fps 135 degrees angle and Action HD [email protected] (excellent for slow mo effects, uses most battery and same data space as full hd) Personally Normal HD is fine with best of both worlds, 2.5 hrs of battery usage and 15mins/gb data use...

One down point is the sound recording, like most all in one cameras it does suffer from wind noise, which can be solved by certain mods to fit an ext. 3.5mm jack to fit an external mic... Or you can do what i've done and tape over the mike hole and turn down the mic gain to limit wind noise to a bearable level...

Prices are around £270-300 or $280-$320 (it is cheaper in the States than in the UK and Europe)

Samples of videos can be found on my youtube channel in HD (bear in mind these are encoded 6Mbs H.264 level 3.2 with Adobe Media Converter and raw footage 11-14MBs)

http://www.youtube.com/stucun84

Stuart

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Size Mike, this is far more discrete mounted to the bike... You can see where i've got it mounted on the vids, the gopro just looks ridiculous (no offence to anyone who has them, im not being snobby or that..)

Stuart

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did they Fix the Issue with the Mic on them yet? Wind noise SUCKS with the Contour
No, wind noise is still an issue, you can tape electrical tape over the mic hole and turn down the mic gain to limit most of the noise... Or, as most folk on this forum like to give mods a try you can take the unit apart and solder on an external 3.5mm jack to plug an external mic to it, full instructions are on the contour forums...

jmejiaa: Yeah we have some nice roads here, i'm trying to put up vids of all my fave roads around.. Scotland is really like one big racetrack to be honest, so many raods and so little time to ride them all! If we only had some all year round nice weather to match :rolleyes:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice quality on the video!

I agree that the lipstick style cameras like the contour have a way better look. The wind noise ruins it for me tho. I have a video of the Go pro on my bike with the open back cover on it, and there is no wind noise. Even at 160 no wind noise.
I'm going to do the external mic mod to get rid of the wind noise, hide the mic behind the screen perhaps? Also need more mounts... Mix it up a bit in the videos...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys are on the wrong side of the road, just so you know.
You mean the correct side ;) lol, one thing i will say is you being able to turn right on a red signal is a fantastic thing... Pity we cant turn left on a red...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Have fun trying to find software to edit your videos... :nono

That was the entire reason I sold mine.. Plus I had shaky video from some of the mounts. Otherwise, very nice camera.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have fun trying to find software to edit your videos... :nono

That was the entire reason I sold mine.. Plus I had shaky video from some of the mounts. Otherwise, very nice camera.
Edits just fine in Adobe Premier Pro CS5 and Apples Final Cut Pro... The mounts are not perfect but they have new ones coming out shortly and i'm about to do some diy work to mines just now... All in all i couldn't be happier ...

·
Around.
21,382 Posts
Looks great! I just picked up a GoProHD and I love it as well. the biggest reason I didnt get the contour was because the wind noise

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks great! I just picked up a GoProHD and I love it as well. the biggest reason I didnt get the contour was because the wind noise
Good stuff, add us as a friend on youtube so i can see your videos www.youtube.com/stucun84

Yeah it seems most people are put off by this wind noise issue, it seems the main problem is with noise "seeping" in through the front lens area and whistling of air around that area according to folk on the contour forums... I just hope it doesn't put too many people off considering the camera because its working absolutely great!

·
Around.
21,382 Posts
Good stuff, add us as a friend on youtube so i can see your videos www.youtube.com/stucun84

Yeah it seems most people are put off by this wind noise issue, it seems the main problem is with noise "seeping" in through the front lens area and whistling of air around that area according to folk on the contour forums... I just hope it doesn't put too many people off considering the camera because its working absolutely great!
I dont have any videos on youtube yet. Im still working on getting the best mounting spots and I need to edit the videos too. Ill get them added soon though

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.