Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At start up, no matter if the bike is cold or hot the idle bounces up and down about 250 rpm's in either direction for about 2-3 min's. My bike is an 07 R6 with full stainless Graves exhaust,PCIII and stock air filter. Would an after market K&N high flow filter help with this problem? Any insight on this problem would be appreciated.

·
My R6 ate my homework
550 Posts
Mine does this now after I installed my mjs header.... so I guess you could say I am sort of looking for an answer also.

·
Sex on 2 Wheels
428 Posts
Mine does this now after I installed my mjs header.... so I guess you could say I am sort of looking for an answer also.
Plus 1. Mine does the same thing. The idle bounces for a few minutes and then stabilizes. I also have the MJS header but I don't have a PC3. I just have my o2 sensor hooked up. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I also found that the idle stabilizes after the temp gets above 120 or so. Someone's gotta have an answer... :popcorn:

·
Registered
122 Posts
My idle bounces around too on my 04 but it never stabalizes. I need to find out why too since it really annoys me

·
My R6 ate my homework
550 Posts
Plus 1. Mine does the same thing. The idle bounces for a few minutes and then stabilizes. I also have the MJS header but I don't have a PC3. I just have my o2 sensor hooked up. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I also found that the idle stabilizes after the temp gets above 120 or so. Someone's gotta have an answer... :popcorn:
I am trying some different maps out and doing some tweaking with the PCIII. I have got it to stabilize a little but it still jumps around a little right after start up. While I am out breaking in the new tires I will be playing with the map settings to see if I can smooth things out a bit. I am running without an o2 sensor though. You really need a PCIII though man...it does help make a difference

·
I like ice cream!
1,350 Posts
Mine will stabalize as soon as the temp hits 104 deg from low.

·
New Jack
234 Posts
dont know if this helps. but i have a 05 and when i put my racefit on the idle was pretty low and would jump up and down 300 or so rpm. i raised the idle a little bit and it went away.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
Yeah... I was just thinking, what is your idle set at?

Mines about 1500 revs on start up, and when the bike reaches 130 then it settles down to 1200 revs. If your idle is lower than that, you may just need to adjust it.

Note: You don't need to use THOSE EXACT rpms, those are just what I use.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah... I was just thinking, what is your idle set at?

Mines about 1500 revs on start up, and when the bike reaches 130 then it settles down to 1200 revs. If your idle is lower than that, you may just need to adjust it.

Note: You don't need to use THOSE EXACT rpms, those are just what I use.
My engine idle speed is 1600rpm after it stops jumping around. Would this problem have anything to do with the power commander? How long dose it take for it to map on startup? or is it an instantaneous action that you don't notice. I don't know much about the power commander, so this is just a thought.

·
Registered
779 Posts
anytime you change something to do with air/fuel mixture your idle will bounce till you get it mapped correctly, and then it may still do it a little bit.
putting a high flow air filter,putting headers on or changing the slip on can and will affect your A/F mixture causing the idle issue.

·
Sex on 2 Wheels
428 Posts
anytime you change something to do with air/fuel mixture your idle will bounce till you get it mapped correctly, and then it may still do it a little bit.
putting a high flow air filter,putting headers on or changing the slip on can and will affect your A/F mixture causing the idle issue.
True. But shouldn't the o2 sensor correct the A/F mixture?? :confused

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When installing a power comander they recomend you remove the stock o2 sensor, because the power commander changes the A/f mixture to what the map you have programed specifies, right? I think or am I just talkin:BS

·
Project MIDNITE continues
229 Posts
if i remmber correctly the bikes computer ist like the cars computer. where it will adjust the a/f. when you set the power commander to a map. the a/f will stay that way an will not change or adjust. but i could be wrong..... mine also jumps around at idle at times.

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
same here too... mine will sound like its gonna stall out for the first couple minutes. But once the Temp hits 73 degrees + its fine. I have an MJS header/BMC filter/GYTR slip on and PCIII setup. An i have a custom map. Runs great .. but only after the 73 degrees temp.

Could i just up the A/F in the 500-2000 rpm range on my PCIII map an it would go away?

·
Sex on 2 Wheels
428 Posts
When installing a power comander they recomend you remove the stock o2 sensor, because the power commander changes the A/f mixture to what the map you have programed specifies, right? I think or am I just talkin:BS
Yeah, you remove the o2 sensor when you install a PC3, but if you don't have a PC3, the o2 stays connected. I don't have a PC3.

·
Sex on 2 Wheels
428 Posts
if i remmber correctly the bikes computer ist like the cars computer. where it will adjust the a/f. when you set the power commander to a map. the a/f will stay that way an will not change or adjust. but i could be wrong..... mine also jumps around at idle at times.
I've always been told that the o2 sensor on the R6 does adjust the A/F mixture and that a PC3 is pretty much only required if you want to optimize it in order to get the most HP out of your bike.

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
Having your PCIII installed an running with the O2 sensor still connected will cuase the bike to fight itself from the ECU an PCIII. A PCIII is replacing your 02 sensor and its stock ECU. Having them both run will make your bike confused as hell an fight the PCIII.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Could it also be that the fuel injectors are out of sync. I know that a carbed bike will do this when they are out of sync.

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
Its really annoying an i hope someone can tell us exactly what to do to fix this lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
Each bike is going to be diffrent, Altitude, hymidity....all play a part. Nothing is going to EXACTLY fix this.

I would say, take it to a dyno shop and creat a CUSTOM map for your exact bike. Also, check for vacume leaks? This will cause RPMs to jump around at idle.

Is the MJS header worth it? Do you really gain anything? Other then loosing 12lbs or so.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts