Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
My R6 eats ur mom.
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm slowly transitioning my 2006 into a track bike and last Friday, I installed smog block off plates, BMC air filter, MJS headers w/ an akrapovic megaphone (yes, it's ridiculously loud), and a PCV.

Until I get a custom map, I'm running the Euro Graves full system map, which seems fine throughout the RPMs, but my issue is my idle.

It used to bounce between 1000 and 2000, and then eventually stall, until it was warmed up. After 2 days of searching for info on forums, I ended up increasing the numbers on my PCV in the 0-2250 RPM range from 0 to 18.

The stalling still occurs, but now my bike's idle bounces from 500 to 1500.
I'm going to run some fuel injector cleaner and see if that helps. I might even change the battery as well.

I've searched high and low in the forums and it seems like it's happened to some people before, but the problem hasn't been pinpointed.

I really want to just increase the idle screw on my bike, but everyone says not to do that. It sucks having to hold my throttle slightly open when my bike is stopped so that it doesn't die.

Here's a video of what's going on. Sorry it's shot at night. http://youtu.be/po8sDFGmKik

·
My R6 eats ur mom.
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I my plugs were recently changed, maybe 1000 miles ago.

You think fiddling with these numbers in the PCV will help at all?

I'm really just considering turning up the idle on this thing... but I dunno.

This is pretty frustrating.

·
My R6 eats ur mom.
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So after looking up more info, I decided to calibrate my throttle. Because of the fly by wire, I had to do it with the bike running (the neighbors loved that).

After I did that, I reset the values back to 0 at 0% throttle. That solved the stalling issue. My idle still bounces, from 800 to 1700, but at least the bike doesn't die anymore.

Per someone else's suggestion, I decided to block my megaphone with something to see if that would help. The added back pressure definitely smoothed out the idle a lot.

Looks like I might have to ditch this megaphone, unless anyone knows of any other solution to smooth out my idle without having to change my slip on.

Any ideas?

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
I agree with ditching the slip on, but that isn't everything. Running canned maps will only get you so far. You have only done the easy half of the work required for more power. You need to finish it off with a proper tune on a dyno. You can get close with an auto-tuner, but it still won't be 100% correct. Spend the money and do it right, otherwise you've just wasted money on all the other stuff.

·
My R6 eats ur mom.
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Getting a custom map is definitely next and will happen in the near future.

Does anyone know the downside of turning the idle up directly? Why is that so bad on the 06+ bikes?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts