Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Get'n Lucky -n- Kentucky
800 Posts
about 6HP difference why?

Sorry i've been a member to long i'm starting to turn into these guys.
Looks bro thats about it. You aint cool if you don't have one!

·
zomething different
8,430 Posts
Protects the brake fluid from UV degradation.
actually, racers back in the day used to keep a wristband on there so they had something readily accessible to wipe of any fluids that may be spilled. they are merely cosmetic now. the thing you got to worry about with brake fluid is moisture getting in there.

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
Is there really proof? Does it really do anything?

Why do they come in little transparent cups then? You would think companies would not do this is it affected the bike negatively.
because it's not like it happens overnight. Or even over a month. It happens very slowly and over a long period of time. The manufacturers use clear reservoirs so that you can easily see the fluid level and condition/color of the brake fluid.

·
A.G.C.
329 Posts
Is there really proof? Does it really do anything?

Why do they come in little transparent cups then? You would think companies would not do this is it affected the bike negatively.
Do you always have to question things? Not all bikes use transparent reservoirs.....

Does it really do anything? Really? Walk outside in the sun with a long sleeve shirt on and let me know when your arms get sun burned......Then walk outside wearing no shirt at all, again, let me know how long it takes for you to get burned.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
i would hope you guys who are claiming the UV degradation are changing your brake fluid far sooner than getting to that point.

·
A.G.C.
329 Posts
Or just look up the composition of brake fluid....It's pretty self explanatory....

And with all this, you might think I use one.... I don't, I'll flush my fluid long before I need to worry about degradation on a serious level.

It might fall into the category as "you bought a street legal race bike, so you might be a little more proactive on maintenance" opposed to gramps buying himself a harley and all he wants to do is turn it on and put around and not worry about shit.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
it is ONLY about looks, period.

1. Don't listen to the folks who say its about UV protection... because if your break fluid is that bad from the sun, you should have changed it a long time ago and you don't do much maintenance on your bike (so there will be a LOT of other things to worry about)
2. Don't listen to the folks who say its about going to the track and protects the fluid from spilling out during a crash... because if you go down at the track (or anywhere else for that matter) i would be more worried about the 4 GALLONS of gasoline sitting 1 inch away from my manhood, and not the 3 oz of break fluid from leaking out. (and even that would be way down the list of things to worry about during a situation in which i have JUST CRASHED!)

/thread

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Do you always have to question things? Not all bikes use transparent reservoirs.....

Does it really do anything? Really? Walk outside in the sun with a long sleeve shirt on and let me know when your arms get sun burned......Then walk outside wearing no shirt at all, again, let me know how long it takes for you to get burned.
I like to question things and not believe everything someone tells me, so shoot me.

Just like with the brake sock, I'm not in the sun long enough without a shirt for me to get sunburn so I don't need to wear a long sleeve.

And R6 forum sock FTMW.

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
it is ONLY about looks, period
Wrong.

If it was only about looks that would mean there is no functionality in it. In which it does have multiple functions.
1. Protects from UV.
2. If there is a leak or seepage from the cap, it won't drip down and affect your paint.
3. Keeps brake fluid cooler.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts