Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Read Only
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just at walmart and I saw some Prestone synthetic DOT 4 brake fluid. It was about 3 bucks or so for a bottle. How well does this stuff work? Or are all brake fluids the same?

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
If you're gonna go cheap... Get the valvoline full synthetic dot 3&4. I prefer not to cheap out and therefore went with motul rbf600 this time. It's about $12/pint but well worth it

·
Insert nonsense here
5,092 Posts
I used the prestone at first but wasn't impressed with it. I then switched to Porsche Dot 4 fluid. Awesome fluid and has comparable specs to The Motul stuff.

I have some extra cans laying around if anyone is interested...

Porsche - Boiling point 500 F - Wet boiling point 356 F

Motul - Boiling point 593 F - Wet boiling point 420 F

·
Insert nonsense here
5,092 Posts
HEHEHE It's not theft if it's "extra." I can't help it that the cars systems don't use a whole can every time. I like to consider it a "perk." :sing

·
Registered
166 Posts
I used galfer super dot 4 when I installed my fren tubo brake lines earlier in the spring. Just like some garbage bags are better than others it's the same for brake fluids so they dont all perform the same.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts

·
RESPECT
29,160 Posts
HEHEHE It's not theft if it's "extra." I can't help it that the cars systems don't use a whole can every time. I like to consider it a "perk." :sing
:sing yeah! not his fault the cars don't use the whole can!

·
It's pronounced "Tollz"
7,760 Posts
I used the prestone at first but wasn't impressed with it. I then switched to Porsche Dot 4 fluid. Awesome fluid and has comparable specs to The Motul stuff.

I have some extra cans laying around if anyone is interested...

Porsche - Boiling point 500 F - Wet boiling point 356 F

Motul - Boiling point 593 F - Wet boiling point 420 F
Well since you're just handing them out I'll take the RBF off your hands :D

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
$77 a Liter!!! :eek5

And it's specs aren't any better than the Motul stuff except in the wet boiling point. It actually kills the Motul there. But I'd just keep changing the fluid rather than spend that much!
still doesn't come close to ferodo's 626F
none of you guys on this forum could ever need anthing above the stock fluid. why you guys go buy the most expensive stuff is ignorant.

besides I bet 1/2 of you in this very thread have stock pads still and go buy $20/liter brake fluid for no reason. as if it's making the shitty stock pads work better.

·
Insert nonsense here
5,092 Posts
still doesn't come close to ferodo's 626F
I'd take this over the castrol for sure.

But bikes calipers are out in the open getting cooled by the air that is passing over them. These ultra high temp fluids are useless to us motorcycle guys. (unless possible you are racing in the top tier of your division) If you were racing trans am series or something comparable where brake fluid cooling ducts and radiators for the brake fluid are used I could see the need. Any decent Dot 4 will work for motorcycles.

·
Wish I Could Ride More
788 Posts
speaking of brake fluid, i am going to order a set of vortex rearsets pretty soon and had a question. since i have to put in the rear brake pressure sensor that they include, i was told i will have to bleed the rear brake, well i have some Motul rbf600 from last time i changed the fluids, its about 2 months old maybe. is it still good to use? because i think i heard somewhere that once its opened it must be used....

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
2 months. I'd say it's still good. one year I'd say maybe not.
brake fluid isn't some mystical exotic fluid that instantly goes bad once opened.
how many cars that are over 10 years old to you think has had it's brake fluid changed? chances are if it's never had any brake parts replaced it's the stock 10 year old fluid

·
Wish I Could Ride More
788 Posts
2 months. I'd say it's still good. one year I'd say maybe not.
brake fluid isn't some mystical exotic fluid that instantly goes bad once opened.
how many cars that are over 10 years old to you think has had it's brake fluid changed? chances are if it's never had any brake parts replaced it's the stock 10 year old fluid
alright cool. thanks man i guess ill get the rearsets now

1 - 20 of 20 Posts