Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i am new to track days, done three weekends totally :nocontrol. In my last track day I noticed that I couldn't brake with two fingers, my levers went closer to my throttle bar . My rest of the fingers were sandwiched between the levers and the throttle . Is some thing wrong with my brakes fluid ? Is it usual that the brake will become mushy after couple of sessions ? :popcorn:

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
what he said.. start with a good fluid bleed. Chances are your fluid is quite old, and has attracted a reasonable amount of water. I change fluid every few months (racing). There is no need for expensive, fancy brake fluid on an R6. I use stock Dot4 fluid, right off the dealership shelf. DO NOT mix dot 5 with dot 4. Just stick with dot 4.
As he said above, ya may need to upgrade to steel braided lines if you are at an intermediate pace or better, and hard on the brakes at your track. The fluid gets hot, and the stock lines will expand a bit.. giving a mushy feeling and the lever comes back further. But start with a complete brake fluid flush. There are LOTS of youtube vids on how to do this, or search this forum.

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,449 Posts
Manesh :wave It's Ricky. I like using the Motul RBF600 DOT 4. Do a thorough rebleed and see how it is. What lines do you have?

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
willl change the fluids and will update here after the next track day :toocool:
just take your time on doing the fluid flush. Or have a pro do it.. but it's easy, just a few things have to be done right. Also, do NOT fill the fluid resiv. all the way. Put it between the lines on the side of the cup. Filling all the way, can have it push out and pit your screen and paint as the fluid gets hot (fluid expands when it gets warm as we know :) )

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,449 Posts
Mine doesn't fade. :popcorn: :*tongue

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,449 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Flushed my brakes did three consecutive track day at laguna no more mushy brake levers.
:toocool::toocool::toocool:

thanks for all replies :bow:bow:bow:bow

1 - 18 of 18 Posts