Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 R6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 r6. Yesterday I got a new motodynamic brake light with integrated turn signals. Got it all installed and the turn signals work fine and the tail light comes on but it seems like the brake light is always on and not the running light. I checked all my connections several times, checked fuses, unplugged front brake switch, unscrewed the rear most of the way, even did a test on the pins and both positive pins read 12v regardless of brake being applied or not. I then tried connecting my old light and same issue. I’m not great with electronics and really don’t know where to go from here. What could cause this? What should I recheck/check next? I’m lost and ready to just take it to a shop so any help is appreciated before I drop hundreds of dollars for diagnostic and repair. Thanks in advanced!

·
nova r6
3,220 Posts
Screwing the rear brake switch in or out? Screwing it in to bring the bottom half of it closer to the pedal should cut the light out if its the rear brake causing the issue especially if you unplugged the front switch and no change. Beyond that it would have to be a short in the harness somewhere keeping the one wire powered up constantly

·
Registered
2004 R6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Screwing the rear brake switch in or out? Screwing it in to bring the bottom half of it closer to the pedal should cut the light out if its the rear brake causing the issue especially if you unplugged the front switch and no change. Beyond that it would have to be a short in the harness somewhere keeping the one wire powered up constantly
Good catch, I actually screwed it out. But i found it really hard to screw either way because of the wire twisting, is there any way to screw it in without twisting the wire?

·
Registered
2011 R6 Race Bike
119 Posts
Disconnect wire at other end and reconnect after you have tightened completely to brake switch.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,099 Posts
If led light. Is there a ballast resistor or not?

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you did not mess with it at the pedal and do not have the wiring diagram for the bike you might want to check to make sure you have it worked correctly. Is the running light and brake light wires pludded into each other's sockets?

·
Registered
2004 R6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you did not mess with it at the pedal and do not have the wiring diagram for the bike you might want to check to make sure you have it worked correctly. Is the running light and brake light wires pludded into each other's sockets?
I resolved the issue. The rear brake was too loose 😅 thank you all for the suggestions!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts