Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

This my first post as well as about my first bike. I have a 2004 Yamaha-R6. I purchased it a little over a month ago and with winter setting I'm following the lead and completing/learning to complete all necessary maintenance during this time. the first thing I want to do is replace the front and rear brake pads. Ive seen the you-tube tutorials and I am pretty confident in my ability to do it. However, there are no tool/part lists. This is where it can go south in hurry. Does anyone have a part/tool list for changing brake pads?

·
Registered
790 Posts
leatherman, duct tape...job done

·
Registered
790 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh wow, beer and duct tape, makes perfect sense. The beer helps the duct tape stick? Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do you not have a toolbox yourself?

The whole bike can *almost* be torn apart with a phillips, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, and a one way screwdriver.

I'm sure that with those 3 sockets you could do a break pad change.
None of these videos show the guy with a ratchet or tool of some sort?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I have a tool box. However, I'm sure I dont have "Everything" I'm supposed to change brakes. Nor do I "know" what I need. "1st time" remember. Yes I did see the video but I couldnt see the numbers on the sockets. However, the last persons post let me know I will need at least an 8mm-13mm sockets, a Phillips head. You all have done this probably a trillion times I havent. I just want to make sure I have everything I need when I get started because I hate stopping to go to the store to get a $3 tool to do 10 seconds worth of work. My bad, if my question is too newbie for this Forum however thanks for the info.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Other than standard tools that anyone SHOULD have,you will need something to compress the pistons back into the calipers. I use a C-clamp but most auto parts stores sell a caliper piston compression tool.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
also if you havent bought pads yet, theres a great seller on ebay, i just bought both front brakes and the rear brake EBC HH pads for 110$ shipped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Dustin, Cheefar, and Quik,

From you three, I ve learned that I should have or need a Tourque Wrench, a C-Clamp, and least 8mm - 12mm sockets. That alone was worth asking the question. I have some metric sockets but only 1-8, no use for a tourque wrench so I have get one, no C-Clamp either. So thank you three for not taking my question for granted. Also, I have to check the owners manual to see what size the axle nut is to get a socket/wrench for that as well. I'll check out that seller on ebay for the pads.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
you can do without a torque wrench, thatll probably be the most expensive thing.
I like to torque everything to spec but just be careful, there are definately mistakes in the service manual about torque specs. one that i know of for sure is the specified torque for the self-locking sprocket nuts on the rear wheel.
The manual says to torque these nuts on a 2003 r6 to 72 ft pounds, which is a HUGE mistake, more then double the actual recommended torque of 32 ft/lb which is still a little high.

just be careful, and use blue loc-tite to secure the caliper back on if you decide to take the whole thing off.

·
My headlight is burnt out
137 Posts
You might want to think about new brake fluid too if you are changing the brakes. If you change the fluid, speed bleeders FTW!

·
Registered
597 Posts
No problem man, I believe the front axle is a 36mm, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Like already said a torque wrench isnt really needed but some blue loctite is a great investment.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
uh the axle nut is smaller than 36 mm, 36mm is for the triple tree nut.
I use a 1' 1/4th inch socket for my rear axle, its slightly loose, so i believe the real metric size is 32mm, 1' 1/4th inch works fine though.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i know for sure the rear is 32mm I guess that is probably the one he was asking about
yea the front is a little different, you undo the pinch bolts and then use a 19mm hex key to loosen the spindle, hex key isnt necessary but makes it easier especially if its the first time taking the wheel off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts