Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I can tell, my front brakes are squeeking, only at slow speeds. I tried washing them out but the bike keeps getting dirty from all the damn snow and gravel. I was wondering if maybe the pads were worn out.

Have any of you had to change you pads in a years worth of riding? How long till you change yours usually?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Is that your race bike in the avatar photo?

Anyways... one year is kinda a short time for them to actually be worn out. Perhaps you just glazed the pads. There is a tip I read recently regarding this. Take them out and rub them on an unfinished concrete floor and then reinstall. Then try not to hammer on the brakes before they are up to temperature.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with RockyR6 on this deal, a year is kind of a short time frame for your front breaks to be worn down. I still have the original sets on my 2002, and they still have a lot of life after 19,000 miles.
Glazing just might be your problem! As for the concrete method, don't know!?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had to change mine after 23,000 miles. Cost me 60 bucks for the fronts. Kinda sucked but they were easy as hell to change except for the fact that the local suzuki dealer (who changed my front tire for me not 3 days earlier) used an impact wrench to remount my callipers, which made it impossible to remove them by any other means than finding someone else who had an impact wrench. It sucked. but was easy once i got the callipers off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RockyR6 said:
Is that your race bike in the avatar photo?
No it isn't. I wish. The pic was taken at the most recent motorcycle show here. It had a whole bunch of mods was sweet. Something like 130 hp or something crazy.

As for the brakes I looked at them and they had plenty of life left. I think you guys were right about glazing. I just so happened to see a buddy of mine who works at a dealership. I told him and he said he had just the thing. It was this stuff in what could only be described as a lip balm container. He just put a little on each side of the rotors and they were brand new.

Any of you hear of this stuff? I didn't get to see the name, but I'll try to get it from him next time I see him.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You could pull the pads, clean out all the crap from the caliper and the back of the pads, apply copper grease to the back of the pads, put it all back together and you problem should be cured.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts