Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay guys and gals, this maybe a stupid question(im entitled to ask a few every year). i seen some pics of bikes with a wrist band type deal on the front brake resevoir. a friend of mine has it also, he claims it soaks up any leakage from the resevoir, then he says he seen some other bikes on the net with it also. i for one dont have one on my bike, im not cool enough to rock the nike wrist band around my brake resevoir. besides i like to see how much brake fluid i have in there while im riding. any other reasons?

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Never heard or seen anything like that.

My guess is their shit is warped at the top and leaks.

My bike has 6060 miles on it and the brake fluid is MAXED out and has never leaked a drop.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've noticed this befor also.....i dont know how many of ya'll have seen the Movie Faster.....but in one part of the movie when it shows a view from Rossi's bike he's actually got one on his as well.....i just thought it was cheesy way of getting it the rest of the color of the bike instead of having it painted.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have one on mine. As do most of the other racers.

The most reasonable explaination I have heard is thus...

When you crash on the track, there is a good chance that the reservior could crack and send brake fluid all over the place. The wristband could protect it a little bit, and absorb a pretty decent amount of fluid if it did crack.

I bleed my brakes at least every other weekend, as do almost all the other racers... so I doubt it has anything to do with UV.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
^I think rockys explanation makes the most sense I still doubt id do it though

·
This bike is too Kwik
786 Posts
We need a smilie to denote digging up an old post. Maybe a little guy with a shovel or something like that. over 6 months old!

·
Now with KungFu like grip
696 Posts
RockyR6 said:
I have one on mine. As do most of the other racers.

The most reasonable explaination I have heard is thus...

When you crash on the track, there is a good chance that the reservior could crack and send brake fluid all over the place. The wristband could protect it a little bit, and absorb a pretty decent amount of fluid if it did crack.

I bleed my brakes at least every other weekend, as do almost all the other racers... so I doubt it has anything to do with UV.
:stupic It has nothing to do with UV breakdown or anything else like that. It's strictly to prevent leakage in the event of a crash, mainly used by track riders. :fact

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
its ur chance at flair lol, my gf just bought me a black one with a yellow led zeppelin logo on it, pretty sweet.

but really even if u did crash and the resevoir broke open, that wrist band aint gonna absorb nearly half of the fluid. I could be wrong and un-knowing of the absorbancy characteristics of a wrist band but who knos. I always thought they were just to cover up the plain looking brake resevoir

·
Registered
152 Posts
so thats not a stupid question because i was thinking that also, as many others. anyway just thought i would say that. looks neat on race bikes though

·
Registered
694 Posts
GP bikes

04R6Crashdummie said:
I've noticed this befor also.....i dont know how many of ya'll have seen the Movie Faster.....but in one part of the movie when it shows a view from Rossi's bike he's actually got one on his as well.....i just thought it was cheesy way of getting it the rest of the color of the bike instead of having it painted.
Yeah. A lot of the GP bikes have this even up to now. Sharp eyes you have there, man. :)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Nas19320 said:
I've heard that it's to prevent the UV break down of the fluid and also mops up the leakage from heavy braking.
you got the first part right, but there should be no leaking at all in your breaking system. if there is, the sweat band is not your fix.

as far as soaking up fluid from a crash, first i am sure that little bit of brake fluid would be your biggest concern. secondly, they usually break from the nipple on the bottom, so it would just flow out of that.

the sun tends to break down brake fluid, and this just is a minimal attempt to keep the sun off it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
mine "leaked" when I crashed at Barber this year. I had to replace the whole master cylinder/resovoir (yep, I had teh spares with me at the track). The main point is in the event of a crash the fluid wont spill onto the track which would be like dropping oil on the track.

The rear is protected by teh subframe and if you manage to smash that resovoir you have more problems than a cracked resovoir.

·
All about the corners
3,898 Posts
I've actually heard their used for cooling the fluids, the air moving through the sponge material cools the reservoir..

The wristbands, just for looks, and tend to fly off on the track.

·
Registered
56 Posts
YamaDan said:
The wristbands, just for looks, and tend to fly off on the track.
never ha dthat happen to mine. Even at Road America when I was doing 6th gear 12k+ RPM' (16/48 gearing) it didnt fly off. I have never seen that happen.....

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just got mine on their because sometimes my reservoir rattles and taps against my screen and its pretty annoying at high speeds on the hwy.. other than that im stumped as well.

·
All about the corners
3,898 Posts
Bllprk said:
never ha dthat happen to mine. Even at Road America when I was doing 6th gear 12k+ RPM' (16/48 gearing) it didnt fly off. I have never seen that happen.....
Buddy of mine had one on his SV650.. He was going down the straight, maybe 120, it went flying... ROTFL It was the joke of the day...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts