Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys... first of all, when should I get a valve adjustment? It's been about 3,500 miles, and I'm starting to notice some weird sounds and what I think may be a power loss. Could this is symptoms of needing a valve job?

Secondly... My rear brake squeeks like a MOHO. So, how do I friggin stop it. It's getting on my nerves and it's embarassing when I go to stop. I have a sweet bike, but then, EEEEEEEE, they squeel like a pig.

Please help... thanks in advance,
-Solace

·
Registered
487 Posts
How long have they been squeaking? I had a front brake squeak: it ended up being a glaze from washing it the night before, all i had to do was ride the front brakes hard and it went away...kinda weird having brake noises on a new bike (btw mine is an 02 with 4500 miles)

good luck with that noise :drink

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
Re: BRAKE SQUEEK + VALVE ADJUSTMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SolaceRye said:
Guys... first of all, when should I get a valve adjustment? It's been about 3,500 miles, and I'm starting to notice some weird sounds and what I think may be a power loss. Could this is symptoms of needing a valve job?
Unless you're running around at Redline all the time, the scheduled valve inspection isn't until something like 23k miles. Any mods to your bike?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the rear brake has always squeeked... as far as the valve tune, I've never had one done, and I don't run it redline. But still, would it help? Please help - especially the brakes...

-Solace

·
Registered
629 Posts
My front brake squeeks!! It's an 03 and I thought it was too soon to have brake issues. How often do people replace the brakes?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Normally brake squeak is caused by glazed pads, or worn pads. Check the pads and if they are still looking ok thickness wise, sand them with some 100 grit sandpaper. Make sure you use brake parts cleaner to get the grit off when finished. If that doesn't fix it, replace the pads.
Make sure you torqe the calliper bolts back on and use a drop of loctite.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts