Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
my r6 eats other r6s
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to start going to the track and want to know what brakepards would be good for the track? would the stock calipers work good with any brakepads the you guys suggest? and any more mods that i can get to have a more track friendly machine?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Corbon Lorraine are my fav pads but SBS are excellent too.
You wont go wrong with EBC
Just make sure they are HH rated syntered

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
i'm using ferodo xracs. i've heard good things about vesrah rjl pads, too. i'd also suggest replacing ur stock brake lines with something steel braided. if u wanna spend a little extra $$, i can hook u up with someone that can probably get u a great price on fren tubo carbon lines but they're still gonna be more than anything else...

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
Vesrah. Leave EBC for the starbucks parking lot pimps.

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
dont buy EBC, GARBAGE!!!!!!

Vesrah RJL pads are great (if u can find them)
i recently switched to Galfer HH pads as i couldnt find my regular Vesrah pads, i have yet to try them.

a nice set of stainless brake lines, good pads, and fluid w/ a high boiling point (i prefer Motul RBF600) really makes the bike stop well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I tried Vesrah a whiole back and thought they were awful. Dunlopad were ok but ate disks.
EBC are fine as in UK they are easy to get hold of.
Carbon Lorraien or SBS are a jump in quality.
Can I ask why you guys are breaking so hard. R6's are about corner speed, not late on the brakes (Unless you are racing. Track days dont count)
Braided hoses are a must and fresh fluid at least once a year. Make sure you get SS banjos and not cadium

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I tried Vesrah a whiole back and thought they were awful. Dunlopad were ok but ate disks.
EBC are fine as in UK they are easy to get hold of.
Carbon Lorraien or SBS are a jump in quality.
Can I ask why you guys are breaking so hard. R6's are about corner speed, not late on the brakes (Unless you are racing. Track days dont count)
Braided hoses are a must and fresh fluid at least once a year. Make sure you get SS banjos and not cadium
if you brake harder and later, you can brake for a shorter amount of time to keep the same entry speed as if you braked earlier and softer. Even on trackdays, I'm not gonna let off the gas before I absolutely have to, which means I'll be braking as hard as I can at every corner.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Braking hard for hairpins ok.
The rest of the bends, use the engine or your balls and dont brake and just throttle on and off.
Even with a well set up bike, braking hard upsets the bike.
Trackdays are exactly that. If you have an ego, go and race and see how fast you are.
#

I tried and I was last of the late brakers. I came last in every race for 8 months.
I eventual;ly won a race but it made me realise there are those who ARE fast and those that think they are fast. I am genuinely fast now but put me in line with guys whoi race for a living or who are compitively racing and they will eat me alive. I have no wish to chuck my bike down the road. I dont want to have an engine strip every 2 meetings.
I want to turnm up, run at the fast end of the fast group go home and be ready for the next trime out.
Thats it.
If someone goes faster than me, so be it. If I end up fastest on tracxk, so what. There will always be someone capable of going faster.
They did a test at my local on this years latest 600's. I was less than 2 secs a lap slower on an 19 year old 400. On my 99 R6 I was 4 -5 seconds faster. Ok, its my hoime track and I have been on therre over 200 times but it gives me my own little target. I timed a guy round there 8 seconds faster than my best time. I can see me getting another 2 secs if I ride without a broken leg, but where the next 6 seconds will come from I havent a clue!
End of the day, if you want to end up with a bust leg like mine for 20 months, ride on the limit.
Most of us just ride for the pleasure and to better ourselves.

·
Registered
541 Posts
+1 on brakes...if you don't know how to brake properly, you ain't riding fast enough ;-)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts