Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was working with a CR at VIR on monday with NESBA and we pulled in after a session and we started to talk about my riding (go figure...), and he is telling me that i need to get my body in position for the turn in before i start to roll off the throttle/brake/downshift/pick my turn in point/etc... so i tried doing this for the first couple of laps on the next session and the bike seems REALLY unstable when i'm trying to brake hard and ive already got a cheek off the seat and i'm trying to squeeze the tank with just one leg.

what he was saying about getting my body set up right before turn in upsets the suspension, but it seemed like i was upsetting it more by doing it his way and not being able to brake as hard b/c i'm not squeezing the tank with both legs. help??? :dunce:

·
Super Mod
1,292 Posts
you can start to lean off the bike and still have both knees in the tank. You dont want to be turning in and starting to hang off the bike at the same time. be set before you tip in.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
the bike probably because you are putting too much input into the bars as you are braking. This would be especially true if your grabbing the bars as you twist your body around. Try working on letting your inner groin rest against the tank. This will help allow your arms to move freely without moving the bars.

I have an issue that keeps coming and going. Where I don't sit up when braking. I instead go immediately to my hang off position from the tuck. I have found that I really end up with sore shoulders and biceps because of using my upper body to support me as I brake hard. All of that weight is being input through the bars making problems even worse. When that occurs I have to tell myself to relax and sit up while braking hard to take the weight of my upper body and into my legs instead. I know I'm doing things right when I am going fast and I don't feel tired. the bike usually feels better too as a result of my better riding.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
the bike probably because you are putting too much input into the bars as you are braking. This would be especially true if your grabbing the bars as you twist your body around. Try working on letting your inner groin rest against the tank. This will help allow your arms to move freely without moving the bars.
That's some good advice. My suggestion exactly.

You need to move around on the bike without unsettling it. Set up early. I've had a lot of fast guys tell me that if the next turn is the same direction as the turn you're in, don't bother getting in the middle of the seat.

I put some mirrors up in my garage so I can practice riding position this winter ... look in the mirror and find the difference between what FEELS right vs. what IS right.

I'll report back. :D

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I have an issue that keeps coming and going. Where I don't sit up when braking. I instead go immediately to my hang off position from the tuck. I have found that I really end up with sore shoulders and biceps because of using my upper body to support me as I brake hard. All of that weight is being input through the bars making problems even worse. When that occurs I have to tell myself to relax and sit up while braking hard to take the weight of my upper body and into my legs instead. I know I'm doing things right when I am going fast and I don't feel tired. the bike usually feels better too as a result of my better riding.
thanks luke! i was hoping you'd see this and chime in! i'll give it a shot at road atlanta if i go in december!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts