Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've read a bit around the board and google, but I just can't seem to do it correctly.

I know a lot of people holds the clutch in and click all the way down as they come to a stop, but I want to be in gear just in case!

I noticed when I use my front brakes, I can't really manage to blip the throttle to downshift simultaneously.. I can do this fine with just rear brake + downshift.

I tried using my palm, but I cant be precise enough for the blip and I usually over blip it..

Any advice?

·
Registered
34 Posts
also i found when i put braided lines on mine i could brake a lot easier with 2 fingers than i could with 4 before and with more hand on the throttle its a lot easier to blip effectivly.
i.e. by needing to use less force on the brake lever i was able to controle the throttle easier. it has me stuffed as to why that put rubber ones on in the first place.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ti took me about 2 days to get it down. You kind of have to allow your fingers to slide on the brake lever. And you can lock up the rear with a slipper clutch.

·
Registered
108 Posts
2 fingers on the brake lever. Like mentioned you kind of slide your fingers up as you blip. Initially you will probably jerk the lever some so practice in a place where you won't get tagged in the ass.

No the slipper doesn't stop rear wheel lock. I had quite a bit of sliding at Road Atlanta over the weekend, because I was not blipping hard enough (overall lousy track weekend for me).

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
There's been a buncha threads on this. There was even a how to posted by one guy with a red bike, who is no longer on the site much. :laugh

I have a video I can post for you to see what to do. I use my thumb to burp the gas while on the brakes. At least I think I do. :lmao

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Oh so basically with the 'future' 2012 R6 I plan on getting with slipper clutch, I still need to blip properly..

Poot!

I thought slipper clutch was my magic answer

I'll try those suggestions.. I'll prob just have to practice more.. Just suck at it..

·
9OH7
199 Posts
Try using your index and middle finger on the brakes with your ring and pinky finger gripped to the throttle. Roll the wrist to bump the throttle, clutch in, downshift.

I rode my bmx bike like that for years and it was second nature to me getting on the bike. Then getting my CDL and learning tractor truck shift patterns has honed my skills. Except no double clutching.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely helped.. thanks just gotta practice more.

Just to clarify again, slipper clutch doesnt help with this at all compared to bikes without? =[

·
Registered
108 Posts
The slipper clutch helps, but will not eliminate rear wheel slides if you don't rev match well. In general the sliding is when the revs come way up, 11k + on the downshift.

·
Last resort medic
40 Posts
practice makes perfect, dont get hung up and frustrated when making mistakes. Simply rationalize why you made a mistake and fix it. you'll get it right sooner than later.

as other have said, use the arch of your thumb and palm to control the throttle while braking.

good way to practice it is to park on a downhill incline. use the front brakes to keep the bike from rolling. keep everything in neutral. play with the trottle and try to blip and hold at certain different levels without having to readjust. it'll give you some "feeling" for what the throttle reacts like in neutral (similar situation than when downshifting).

good luck

Q

1 - 12 of 12 Posts