Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
My R6 frees me
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aright...so I just had some new Michelin PPs put on and not 30 yds from the shop I crashed...I didn't even apply much throttle when I STARTED to accelerate in a straight line...UP HILL...it felt like I was riding on ice! The rear tire just kicked out, bike went outta control and I was flung off...it was almost 40 degrees that day. So after much questioning and research I found out that brand new tires have a thin silicone layer coming out of the manufacturer that is slippery....my question is...have you guys ever sanded this layer off? I know I should be "scrubbing" them by riding but honestly I do NOT want to get back on my bike after that happened...I had ZERO grip going up hill with little acceleration...I could only imagine what would happen on flat ground in a corner...I know you west coast folks and Floridians don't have to worry about cold tires/ground as much but up here in Mass we have to...lol I'm open to any helpful suggestions...I just want that silicone layer off so I can comfortably break in that actual rubber

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Aright...so I just had some new Michelin PPs put on and not 30 yds from the shop I crashed...I didn't even apply much throttle when I STARTED to accelerate in a straight line...UP HILL...it felt like I was riding on ice! The rear tire just kicked out, bike went outta control and I was flung off...it was almost 40 degrees that day. So after much questioning and research I found out that brand new tires have a thin silicone layer coming out of the manufacturer that is slippery....my question is...have you guys ever sanded this layer off? I know I should be "scrubbing" them by riding but honestly I do NOT want to get back on my bike after that happened...I had ZERO grip going up hill with little acceleration...I could only imagine what would happen on flat ground in a corner...I know you west coast folks and Floridians don't have to worry about cold tires/ground as much but up here in Mass we have to...lol I'm open to any helpful suggestions...I just want that silicone layer off so I can comfortably break in that actual rubber
before you start blaming anything... how much air pressure was in the tires?
There is no break in. Tire comes ready to use from an OEM. Some are in wrappers (Bstone). Its the nut between the seat & bars thats the problem

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
there is no such thing as "Mold Release" that used to be used on tires way back in the day. As TB stated how much psi , and you don't need a "Break in" period.

What you DO need (as he was eluding too) is COMMON SENSE that on a 40 friggin degree day, with brand new COLD TIRES , you are gonna fall on your head if you don't give the tires time to warm up. You were not using tire warmers (obviously, you just left a dealership) so i don't know what you would expect ?
The tires should be scuffed in a bit, as yes, the surface is smooth, but with WARM NEW tires, you should be able to go pretty hard into a corner. 40 F ?? Ehmmmm .. not so much..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, it's not an issue of them being "new", its an issue of cold pavement, cold tires, and possibly air pressure being off.

Just take it easy until the weather warms up.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
User error?

·
My R6 frees me
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know the cold has a lot to do with it, but I had these SAME EXACT tires on my bike before and have ridden off in colder temps without issue (they weren't brand new though)...I'll check the tire pressure...but as I said, I didn't apply much throttle at all going up hill...I was "taking it easy" since it was cold pavement with cold tires...could the tire pressure really cause THAT much loss of traction? I'm just trying to consider all factors (I would consider my own user error, but I rode that thing out like an old lady, lol no hard acceleration or anything crazy)...it's a bit difficult to allow the tires to warm up if I can't even go in a straight line without them slipping! And there is a layer of that stuff on them...it feels slick and smooth to the touch except on small patches where I started to ride on the middle of the tire...

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
I'm just trying to consider all factors
There is nothing more to add to this thread.

-brand new, cold tires
-really cold pavement
-over-inflated by tech who dgaf
-going up hill
-right wrist

All those things combined is why you ended up on the ground 30 yards from the shop.

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,667 Posts
I just put on brand new tires and rode in 5 degrees Celsius with dampness on the road in places. I was fine. I'm guessing psi is the culprit.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
I know the cold has a lot to do with it, but I had these SAME EXACT tires on my bike before and have ridden off in colder temps without issue (they weren't brand new though)...I'll check the tire pressure...but as I said, I didn't apply much throttle at all going up hill...I was "taking it easy" since it was cold pavement with cold tires...could the tire pressure really cause THAT much loss of traction? I'm just trying to consider all factors (I would consider my own user error, but I rode that thing out like an old lady, lol no hard acceleration or anything crazy)...it's a bit difficult to allow the tires to warm up if I can't even go in a straight line without them slipping! And there is a layer of that stuff on them...it feels slick and smooth to the touch except on small patches where I started to ride on the middle of the tire...
There is no layer of anything on your tires. They are "slick and smooth to the touch" because the mold has a smooth surface. Riding on them wears away the smooth rubber on the surface of the tire.

·
2003 R6
141 Posts

40 degrees and new tires, that's not a good combination. The shop should have warned you, but yes, there is a coating on the tires that makes them more slippery at first. I always scrub my new tires with a brush and bleach white to help take off the material on the tire. I probably don't need to do this but it helps with my peace of mind, never had an issue or problem. Hope this help and good luck.

·
I get paid to get high
735 Posts
Maybe there wasn't even a tire on it at all. It's possible that you were riding on the rim, and boy do those things get slippery!!!

·
I get paid to get high
735 Posts
40 degrees and new tires, that's not a good combination. The shop should have warned you, but yes, there is a coating on the tires that makes them more slippery at first. I always scrub my new tires with a brush and bleach white to help take off the material on the tire. I probably don't need to do this but it helps with my peace of mind, never had an issue or problem. Hope this help and good luck.
What is this coating that you speak of?!? :dunce:

:poke

Im calling :BS

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,745 Posts
Please don't put bleach on your tires :fact

·
2003 R6
141 Posts
What is this coating that you speak of?!? :dunce:

:poke

Im calling :BS
You saying that when you have purchased new tires, you have never seen a shinny coating on them? I definitely have, and I also have experienced a "slipperiness" of the tires until they get broken in or the coating is worn off by riding.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts