Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Quoth the Raven, nvrmore
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever ridden one of these mofos? I wonder how they'd compare to my '06 R6 accel/speedwise....

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
I'm awaiting my test ride. The local dealer had the traveling demo unit, but it had to be returned. They are awaiting the shop demo now. From what I understand, it won't accelerate like the R6. Peak power is about 106 hp, and the Rotax motor is moving a lot more weight.

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
106hp and 77 ft pounds of torque mated with a 700 pound chassis should give it a lot of get up and go

and the price ($14,999) is in line with an middle upper end of motorcycles with a decrease in some of the negative aspects (safety) of a motorcycle.
That certianly doesn't sound impressive to me. But they do look fun. I seen one on the freeway a couple of weeks ago and it looked like a blast.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
A friend of mine has one, still haven't been able to get over there and try it out. I did see a big fat guy on one near my house.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I jumped on one my buddy bought. It is not an r6 in the accel or cornering department, but then, it doesnt fall over at stoplights either. Its...well, different. You gotta check it out though. I wouldnt buy one, but then, I dont have that kind of cash laying around either.

·
Ride it like you stole it
1,176 Posts
I've ridden it. My dad sells them and I'm good friends with one of the district sales reps. It has the Ducati engine with 6th gear removed and reverse added. As you may or may not know rotax makes the engine for Ducati.
Its a different ride then the R6. To me if feels like you are riding a quad when it corners. Good commuter bike or for traveling long distances, not for twisties in my opinion.

·
Just Burnin Time
2,219 Posts
The local dealership here waas trying to sell those for a while... FOr $17k i wouldnt get one...

It was kinda cool seeing him roast that rear tire though at one of our bike nights.

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
I've ridden it. My dad sells them and I'm good friends with one of the district sales reps. It has the Ducati engine with 6th gear removed and reverse added. As you may or may not know rotax makes the engine for Ducati.
Its a different ride then the R6. To me if feels like you are riding a quad when it corners. Good commuter bike or for traveling long distances, not for twisties in my opinion.
Rotax makes (some) motors for Aprilia, not Ducati... :fact

Testastretta > Rotax

·
I whore my R6
1,874 Posts
looks fun to ride but motorcycles have 2 wheels

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
Rotax makes very well built engines. A lot of the ultralight aircraft have them.

·
Inhale Speed.Exhale Power
17 Posts
My father has one, its a cool little toy, but definetely can't keep up with me on the R6 if I start getting a fast pace. As far as the fun factor, it has none for agressive riders. Traction control makes impossible to do all the cool things that you could do with 2 wheels up front and 1 in the back...Nevertheless, its a nice toy for older people who don't to hold a bike's weight.

·
My R6 eats Chuck Norris
2,407 Posts
Thing is an absolute blast. Tops out at 155, but crazy get-up-n-go for something that heavy... not as good as the 6 but close, and MUCH smoother. does FUNKY donuts. Yammie dealer had one down at the labor day parade and let me screw around on it afterward.. DEF would get one for the wife... quick enough to keep with the group and optional semi auto tranny... even has reverse.

As for power, its a jet ski motor on a snomobile frame with quad wheels and motorcycle controls.. ya'll know they soup up snomo's and jetski's... gotta be some go-fast goodies for it...

It also has the option to turn on this trac control stuff, it kills burnouts and donuts, but you CANNOT screw up the corners... if u dive in too deep it fixes the mistake with independant ABS and electronic throttle control... you just point, it does the rest. (not the most sporting way to kill a bird, but it IS cool)

model i was on was more like 18k.. so the choice is: R1 for me that the wife won't ride and I don't need, or one of these that'll look great beside the 6.... I'm in....

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
I've always wondered about these thigns too....heres another quick pic of one that i took of one sittin outside the dealership here

·
Registered
331 Posts
The bottom line on the Can Am Spyders is that they've got killer motors and a crap transmission and electronic system. They rushed them out to production and didnt get enough test miles in the R&D area. The motor overpowers the tranny. They've had issues and I wouldnt pay over 10 large for one...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts