Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm brand-new to the site and i'm also waiting for delivery for an '04 r6. what do i need to know about breaking it in properly? :jump

·
Registered
64 Posts
go to the dealer, put the key in and rev it to about 12,000 rpms. that should do it for ya.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you want it to be slow, break it in per the manufacturers instructions. If you want it to haul, break it in per mototuneusa.com
Tom

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hey quick welcome to the forum. There are many opinions on how to break in a new bike. Some follow the manufacturer's guidelines while others run them hard, and then some break it in exactly how they plan on riding it later. Here's how i broke in my 04'....I went the first 100 miles pretty easy, nothing over 8500 rpms except for one hard pull up to 12500. From 100-200 miles i ran the rpms up to 12000 and then changed the oil to make sure the shavings were out. From 200-400 i ran the rpms up to 1300 with a few runs to 14. I changed the oil again at 400 miles. I ran up the rpms up to 500 miles with only two or three runs up to 14500/redline. When i took the bike in for the 500mile checkup they said everything inside looked great! So basically, don't be afraid to get the rpms up and put a load on the motor. Just make sure to change to oil often to make sure no shavings are left inside the motor and everything should work fine...but in the end its up to you how you break in your 6. Enjoy your new bike, i'm sure you'll love it...its a RUSH!!! :jump :cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey guys.. i just got me a R6 too. wow, that is very informative... i been keeping it under 7k the hole time... it sounds to be ok to go over every now and hten. thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts