Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When changing out my break pads, is it okay to have my break hose attach to it... or I have to disassemble it completely?

1 Brake hose holder
2 Front brake caliper
3 Brake pad clip
4 Brake pad pin
5 Brake pad spring
6 Brake pad

·
Registered
11 Posts
if it is the same as a car u can. all u have to do is take the caliper off the rotor and push the piston back in with a C-clamp, put the new pads in and your ready to go.

·
'taking n00bs to school'
95 Posts
Unless you have girly man hands, you don't need a c-clamp. You can push them back with your hands.

I don't see any reason to bleed the brakes or remove the lines...I just swapped the pads and was done with it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
if it is the same as a car u can. all u have to do is take the caliper off the rotor and push the piston back in with a C-clamp, put the new pads in and your ready to go.
They are. Take mounting bolts out of caliper. Remove caliper. Remove pin. Remove one pad. Take cap off master cylinder. I used the other old pad and some channel locks to smoothly push pistons back in. Make sure you push both sides in smoothly/evenly. If you do it without paying attention you'll make it crooked and the pads will be hard to install. Put new pads in. I also kept the one old pad in as a "spacer" between the new pads. This aids in putting the pin back in straight. Lube the pin with a small amount of di-electric or silicone grease. Reinstall pin. Now remove the other old pad. Install caliper and check bolts for tightness or use torque wrench. Reinstall master cylinder cap. Pump the brake lever/pedal and it should get firm again. All done.

·
$4 a gal. 4 gal. a shot
933 Posts
And to keep the calipers from hanging by the hoses (bad) I always use zip ties and tied them to the fork or caliper bracket, after changing the pads I just cut the zip ties off, they are cheap.

·
Registered
313 Posts
And to keep the calipers from hanging by the hoses (bad) I always use zip ties and tied them to the fork or caliper bracket, after changing the pads I just cut the zip ties off, they are cheap.
Maybe I just think ahead too much but I had all the tools and pads ready and the pin loose before I took it off so I just held the caliper in one hand and never needed to hang it.

·
$4 a gal. 4 gal. a shot
933 Posts
Maybe I just think ahead too much but I had all the tools and pads ready and the pin loose before I took it off so I just held the caliper in one hand and never needed to hang it.

Well that works too but then how do you stop midway and go get another beer? :D

Just as long as you don't let them hang by the brake lines all is good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts