Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:BS To whoever says "Break it in the hard way"!! Or "Break it in like you're going to ride it"!! blahblahblahblah...You do not do that to a bike unless you want it to run like shit, or you actually are one of those cool people who gets paid to race them. RACERS don't have to break in their bikes because they aren't going to break their engines in for 1000 miles before racing---they get all that crap rebuilt after they're done, geez. If you've got the money to get that done every however many miles----great. Otherwise, just follow your owner's manual, it's got all that stuff in there for a reason. Don't get that cheap Yamalube crap they recommend, though. Check out Motorcyclist, or one of those other bike mags, see what kind of oil you want there. Depending on what kind of riding you do, you'll find what you need. It is a fact that your bike will put out more power once it's loosened up properly. A test was done using two of the same bikes, one broken in hard, one regular. At the end of the test, after both bikes were loosened up, the one that was broken in according to the manufacturer's recommendation put out 5hp more. The reason the warranty on bikes is only a year is because most people don't break them in properly. Just ignore the little devil on your shoulder telling you to max it out in 3rd ( :wtf why would you do this?!), treat your bike nice, and you'll have it longer than the average squid.
Anyhow, good luck with your bikes. :yell

·
Registered
15 Posts
true that.. i was talking to my dads friend one time and he was telling about how the one thing he wished he hadn't done to his harley was break it in hard.. its been having nothing but iternal problems lately.. all caused by a crazy rip ass break in.. stupid!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hey guys...

Hey miraclegrau, thanks for posting that man... I was kinda going for the in between approach. I've never taken my R6 above 7-8 thousand when shifting yet, and I am the original owner, so it's all up to me.
Now, question - what do you consider breaking it in hard, or soft? They said from the factory not to go over like 55mph 'right out of the box' but I kinda found it hard not to. I had to a little, but tried not to keep it there. Any more suggestions in detail of how to break it in, so I won't break the bank! Thanks Miraclegrau!

-Solace

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Hey guys...

"SolaceRye" Hey miraclegrau, thanks for posting that man...

I'm a girl. Anyway pretty much frequent wide open throttle sessions, frequent tach climbing sessions, and riding it as if you knew nothing of a break-in period, are some of the things that qualify as a hard break-in. Also highway riding is bad, unless it is just for short runs, because on a new engine, you aren't supposed to keep the rpm's at a constant speed for very long. If your highway speed limit is 55, and you change from 5th to 6th a lot, then you would be alright. Don't forget to change your oil! Don't use a synthetic until you have a couple thousand miles on it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Sorry

Hey... sorry about that miss... no offense intended. Thanks for the advice!

-Solace

·
Registered
66 Posts
To break your bike in right do what it says in your owner manual they are the ones that built the machine and knows what it can and cant do and how to treat them properly if you dont have a owners manual or cant find it in there consult with yamaha.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Shit wrong topic meant to post that in the topic Breaking in my r6 .... so i wont break my bank started by Solacerye there is nothing about the owners manual in that topic i just posted in the wrong place dont need to get all defensive or nothing

·
Another Bikeless Bro
4,466 Posts
so happy i get to post this

HOLY FCUKING THREAD REVIVAL!!!!!!!!

6 YEARS
BRAVO!!!!!!!

·
vroom vroom party starter
137 Posts
hahaha..

i didnt even catch the date on the original post... wow

·
Another Bikeless Bro
4,466 Posts
hahaha..

i didnt even catch the date on the original post... wow
AND AGAIN!!! TWICE IN THE SAME THREAD!!!

You're 6 years late to the table brother...just sayin':secret

damn you got to edit it before i caught yah :laugh

·
vroom vroom party starter
137 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts