Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
STUGOTS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm now down to these two tires. Motomummy has a wicked sale right now on them btw, so if you like em, grab some soon.

So, as I said before, I'm a somewhat aggressive street rider.
Which one should I go with? Approximately, how many miles can I get out of each?
Thanks everyone!

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Q3...

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts

·
Riding=Hobby, Family=Life
6 Posts
Ok, I'm now down to these two tires. Motomummy has a wicked sale right now on them btw, so if you like em, grab some soon.

So, as I said before, I'm a somewhat aggressive street rider.
Which one should I go with? Approximately, how many miles can I get out of each?
Thanks everyone!
I would go with the Bridgestone, they are built to last a little longer. I would expect if you ride aggressive as you say, you'd only get 4,000 to 5,000 out of the Dunlop tires. It's all in the name (the Q in Q3 stands for qualifier). The Bridgestone should give you closer to 7,000 to 8,000.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Nice pull those numbers out of thin air? You can't say how many miles someone should get with any degree of accuracy

·
6 Posts
Nice pull those numbers out of thin air? You can't say how many miles someone should get with any degree of accuracy
Interesting. He said "aggressive street rider." While there are a TON of various factors that go into tire wear and life - riding style, what you're riding, horsepower, local climate, road conditions, track riding, etc. - I actually answered the original question based on personal experience and from talking to other riders.

The Dunlop Qualifiers are built to be softer on purpose, to provide superior grip. That's great if your racing, track riding, etc., and don't mind burning through a tire every 5,000 or less. Granted, if you're not an aggressive rider, you could throw on the Q3's and get much more life out of them.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
What makes you think the b stone is made to last longer than the dunlops? Also where are you getting q3 will be toast after 5k street miles. I have a lot of experience with q2/3s. I've toasted them from 300 miles to 10k street miles

·
6 Posts
What makes you think the b stone is made to last longer than the dunlops? Also where are you getting q3 will be toast after 5k street miles. I have a lot of experience with q2/3s. I've toasted them from 300 miles to 10k street miles
Like I said, personal experience. By the way, if you burn one at 300 miles and the next at 10,000 miles, then your average life on the Q2/Q3 is 5,150 miles. :)

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Track vs street miles. Either way the q3 or s20 are about equal imo. If I were stuck between both I'd go with what ever is cheaper. Grip wise they both will be fine for what you want. I just prefer Dunlop as a whole compared to b stone

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Try sportbike track gear

·
Get Some..!
288 Posts
Like I said, personal experience. By the way, if you burn one at 300 miles and the next at 10,000 miles, then your average life on the Q2/Q3 is 5,150 miles. :)
:lmao

OP, I haven't tried the Q3 yet but after several sets off Q2's I won't be going back to Bridgestone in a hurry. S20's seem to square off real quick with bad cupping on front as well. My last set of Q2's lasted 4.5k miles and still maintained their profile with 2 track days at intermediate pace and plenty of spirited days in the mountains.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good thread, as I was debating between S20's and Q3's. I picked up the Q3's as they are cheaper and from what I read both tires are very similar. No complaints as the Q3's are great. It's a very popular tire for a reason.

·
Sammiches
1,435 Posts
Give the Pilot Power 3 a look as well. I'm no tire genius, but I have enjoyed my set of PP3s. I got what I asked from them at Road Atlanta. Also did great in the north Ga. mountains.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
I love my s20's. I quit using dunslops years ago when I tried a few other brands. Never going back.

Once you guys get better at riding and try other brands you'll realize how awful dunlops are.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
[/B]

Seriously?:rolleyes:
Very. I won't even ride on free gp-a take offs straight off 2 local guys ama bikes that I hang out with.

Every Dunlop I tried sucked ass. Very unpredictable from corner to corner. One corner they did great the next I thought I was going down. **** those horrible pos tires.

Went to Bridgestone, Michelin and pirelli and never considered a Dunlop again. None of the other tires ever gave me issues like dunlops do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts