Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I am looking to buy a 2005 R6, 23k miles. Guy said that some of the clutch plates broke inside so I would be picking it up pretty cheap. I would consider myself fairly mechanically inclined, so I thought this would be a good project to pick up. He mentioned that afterwards, the engine seemed to make a noise even with the clutch removed, indicating possible internal damage to the engine itself. It is not overly loud, but is noticeable compared to before. He was guessing a rod or main bearing. Would anyone have any input on if this sounds anywhere close to correct, and how much of a headache I might be causing myself?

(I also tried searching for the after effects of a clutch failure and could not find any which is why I am posting here)🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This guy had a similar issue. How much is the guy asking for on the bike?

LINK
I would be picking it up for $1000. And that guys story sounds pretty drastic. This guy said he was just pulling out of the driveway when they broke. If I am not mistaken, OEM clutch plates are made out of aluminum, making it not a total freak act of nature if things were to break.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,422 Posts
The only thing that could break would be the dog teeth on the discs. But there are about 12 of them, and 200hp engines don't shear them off. If they did, then that engine would probably have to seize up assuming that year has no slipper in the basket.. but hey $1k isn't much of a gamble.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is just the picture that he has. As you can see, the plate did snap. And yeah, for $1000, at the very least if things go south quickly, I can always pass it along to someone else who would want to tackle it. But if I need to tear into it, I am not afraid of opening up the engine. This is a project after all.

Attachments

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,422 Posts
Well damn. And I thought I had seen everything. The basket is going be beat up also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He said he took the clutch apart and found that and did not want to deal with it anymore. This is why I was wondering if maybe there were some things that would cause this to be a much less fun project. Sounds like it could have clogged the oil cooler if it got into there. Once I get the new clutch in, I will probably pull off the oil pan and check that out. Is there any more diagnosis I should do at this stage, or should I be okay to fire it up to see if anything is real bad? As mentioned in the original post, he did mention a noise present that was not there before, but was not overly loud. I'm sure even the smallest piece of material could cause this. I'm thinking flush the oil two or three times to make sure?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does a bike need a clutch pack in order to start in neutral? That way, you can clean everything out with some oil before you attempt to put any more money into it.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,422 Posts
As long as the basket is there and in neutral it will start without the discs.. obviously with the cover on. The oil cooler doesn't look to be open upable. Try blowing through it. I imagine any restrictions either direction vs a new fuel filter means plugged.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will be ordering a new clutch pack and anything else that might be damaged, and start investigating those others in the meantime.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
........... that guys story sounds pretty drastic. This guy said he was just pulling out of the driveway when they broke. If I am not mistaken, OEM clutch plates are made out of aluminum, making it not a total freak act of nature if things were to break.
That guy's story is BS LoL. 😄

Someone clutch-dropped it HARD and was already broke before he pulled out of the driveway.
People don't break clutch plates without some really hard abuse.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I have the bike and wanted it start it up to see the noise. See the video. Definitely sounds concerning. Kind of sounds like it comes from the top half of the engine. I have not yet checked the oil cooler. Any thoughts on what it sounds like? Engine coolant was showing roughly 165.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't start that again. 😕
Clutch-drop and other abuse apparently did more than just damage the clutch plates.
Got shavings in the oil?
Was there any change depending on clutch-pull or in/out of neutral?
Cam turns once for every two times that the crank does.
Based on that knowledge it's sometimes possible to determine low/high end without pulling things apart.
If you're sure it's coming from the top of the engine, pull the cam cover and inspect the cams.
With noises like that, top-end damage I think would be dead-obvious.
Otherwise, pull the oil pan and start wiggling some rod-bearings.
Wrist-pins can also make noise. wrist pin knock - Bing video
Be sure to inspect for cam chain slack.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Because it's much easier to access. check to make sure the noise isn't sourced from the clutch area again, before going so far as pulling the oil pan.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Real quick to clarify, this is without any of the clutch plates in. Cam chain is nice, just put on a new tensioner. I did not notice any shavings in the oil. Ran a magnet through it and it was pretty clean. I will plan on checking the valves within the next couple days to see if I see anything, otherwise I will be headed to the oil pan.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,422 Posts
That sounds like rod rattle to me.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,422 Posts
Piston slap is a little faster as the revs drop vs constant as rom changes rod rattles. Close your eyes and see what you think. Granted, it is not a sound you want to hear from your engines.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts