Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I went to pull my seat off on my 07 r6 and while one bolt came out fine the other one just kept spinning. So I bring it to the shop and they took it all apart and they said the part the bolt screws in to is snapped and would need to be welded. This was all Greek to me and am wondering if welding whatever piece the bolt screws in to is the only way to fix it. Thanks guys .

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
the riv nut is spinning? You can dremel the head off to remove the seat then you should be able to access the riv nut. Hint: you dont need 50,000 lb ft of torque on non-critical bolts.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The shop got my seat off they took the whole back end of the bike apart they said the piece that the bolt screws into snapped and would need to be tig welded back on.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
The shop got my seat off they took the whole back end of the bike apart they said the piece that the bolt screws into snapped and would need to be tig welded back on.
shouldnt take more than a minute to fix. I would highly suggest disconnecting the ecu & all electrical parts before they do.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so they called me and re explained the situation to me. Apparently from what they are saying (still haven't got the bike back cause I'm working) nothing snapped off . The thread or whatever in the frame or whatever the bolt screws into is just free spinning when you turn the Allen bolt so when you turn the Allen bolt whatever that bolt screws into spins with with it. I'm stumped.

·
STUGOTS
110 Posts
Ok so they called me and re explained the situation to me. Apparently from what they are saying (still haven't got the bike back cause I'm working) nothing snapped off . The thread or whatever in the frame or whatever the bolt screws into is just free spinning when you turn the Allen bolt so when you turn the Allen bolt whatever that bolt screws into spins with with it. I'm stumped.
Seems like they stripped the s#it out of it or they are using the wrong size bolts?

·
Registered
672 Posts
If the thread aren't stripped a tiny dab of epoxy should do it... I would try to avoid welding it in, not like its structural...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok yeah from my understanding it will still thread in and out fine it's not stripped. Just whatever it is that it threads into once screwed in it just spins with the Allen bolt. For example trying to unscrew something with a nut on the end sometimes you have to hold the nut with pliers and unscrew or it will just spin with the bolt . Like I said I haven't even seen what they're talking about yet I work 230-1030 so I can't pick the bike up until tomorrow .

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,240 Posts
Anyone else not screw their seat down?
I ran the bolts up from the bottom, and drilled them for hitch pins, and safety wired the pins to the seat....tool less removal

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's actually a pretty awesome idea. Wish I could do that. I'd prob F it up somehow though lmao

·
STUGOTS
110 Posts
I ran the bolts up from the bottom, and drilled them for hitch pins, and safety wired the pins to the seat....tool less removal

Dude, that is a great idea! Never occurred to me.
Now that I have one stripped and one with a broken piece in it, how would I do that?
Would I have to buy a new bracket?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,240 Posts
Dude, that is a great idea! Never occurred to me.
Now that I have one stripped and one with a broken piece in it, how would I do that?
Would I have to buy a new bracket?
For your 2013, the bracket (13S-21131-00-00) should run you about $35 with shipping, and the riv-nuts are about $2, each (90179-06010-00). That's if I am looking at the right parts, #39 & 40. (Don't know if the bracket includes the nuts, or not)

http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/yam/5085ca7af8700223282355d7/fender

Once you have a good thread on the nuts, you can run the bolt up through the bottom.

Alternatively, you could remove the riv-nuts, and use two bolts and a thin jam nut on top of the bracket to hold the bolt tight. If you use a jam nut, it should be thin enough that the seat won't sit much taller than normal. Probably not even enough to notice.

·
STUGOTS
110 Posts
For your 2013, the bracket (13S-21131-00-00) should run you about $35 with shipping, and the riv-nuts are about $2, each (90179-06010-00). That's if I am looking at the right parts, #39 & 40. (Don't know if the bracket includes the nuts, or not)

http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/yam/5085ca7af8700223282355d7/fender

Once you have a good thread on the nuts, you can run the bolt up through the bottom.

Alternatively, you could remove the riv-nuts, and use two bolts and a thin jam nut on top of the bracket to hold the bolt tight. If you use a jam nut, it should be thin enough that the seat won't sit much taller than normal. Probably not even enough to notice.

Thanks bro, I'm gonna do this for sure, I have the time too, Ant, Bauce racing is doing my ecu now. Just send it out today.
Man, I can't wait to ride with his flash!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts