Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
faster than a turtle XP
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wanna :enforcer:rocket:bash:rant myself.i was trying to replace the spool i had put loctite on it and when i was using some vice grips i was bending it as i was unscrewing and not the thread part is stuck inside wtf still wanna :enforcer:rocket:bash:rant myself so how can i fix this do i just get a smaller drill bit drill into the screw and reverse in hopes that it some with the stuck piece of shit gawd any suggestions anyone:)

·
Speedy Claxton
1,767 Posts
get an easy-out.. find them at lowes, quite cheap. looks kinda like a drill bit. youll drill a small hole in the broken bolt, and use the easy out to counterscrew into it , then back it out of the threads.

·
RIP Super Sic
3,209 Posts
A drill and a extractor kit will help. Atleast it's not a broken frame slider bolt/ engine mount bolt LOL!

·
faster than a turtle XP
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah red loctite about a year in a half ago when i first started riding i soaked that sucker in loctite when it should have been a small drop or 2 this goes for bar ends and spools lol

·
Registered
291 Posts
yeah red loctite about a year in a half ago when i first started riding i soaked that sucker in loctite when it should have been a small drop or 2 this goes for bar ends and spools lol
Yeah, as with any loc-tite it should only go on a few threads..... not all of them or you will never be able to break the seal.

·
faster than a turtle XP
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, as with any loc-tite it should only go on a few threads..... not all of them or you will never be able to break the seal.
yeah i found that out after i did and now i confirmed the reason why that shit wont come out lol

·
faster than a turtle XP
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
yeah and my 6 has been on stands for months now waiting on parts and im working late on her and then this happens guess its too late to be working on her lol

ps anyone interested on a gpr damper?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Had this happen a few months back when I went down at the track, I snapped a spool. FYI, not to put down anyone's advice, whatever you do, do not waste your money on an extractor kit. 9/10x it will not work unless its under perfect conditions and it costs between $40 and $50 for a kit. Your best bet is to find a local machine shop or someone that welds. The machine shop will have welding rods specifically for broken bolts. I went to the machine shop down the road from me and it cost me $10, they just had me pay for the rod as I had some other bolts to be extracted as well. Good luck

·
faster than a turtle XP
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had this happen a few months back when I went down at the track, I snapped a spool. FYI, not to put down anyone's advice, whatever you do, do not waste your money on an extractor kit. 9/10x it will not work unless its under perfect conditions and it costs between $40 and $50 for a kit. Your best bet is to find a local machine shop or someone that welds. The machine shop will have welding rods specifically for broken bolts. I went to the machine shop down the road from me and it cost me $10, they just had me pay for the rod as I had some other bolts to be extracted as well. Good luck
thanks i just might try been to lazy especially since i know ill be doing my forks but who knows i might get lazy with those 2 :lmao

·
Registered
221 Posts
Being a machinist myself this is the best advice so far. If you think the bolt is hard to get out, break that easy out/screw extractor and see how hard it is then.

For future reference, heat will release loctite. It turns it liquid again.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
If you use an extractor correctly, it will work 9/10 times. Though, you want the type that uses a pilot drill and a separate extractor. It's a worthwhile investment because you WILL use it again and again.. And you can get them for much less than $40.

Anyhow, I snapped a spool off my swing arm as well. The piece left inside was flush with the swing arm surface and broken at somewhat of an angle. The extractor got it out without a problem! And it had loctite (blue, not red) on it as well.

·
Respect the 6
555 Posts
If you use an extractor correctly, it will work 9/10 times. Though, you want the type that uses a pilot drill and a separate extractor. It's a worthwhile investment because you WILL use it again and again.. And you can get them for much less than $40.

Anyhow, I snapped a spool off my swing arm as well. The piece left inside was flush with the swing arm surface and broken at somewhat of an angle. The extractor got it out without a problem! And it had loctite (blue, not red) on it as well.
agreed

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
Machine shops work wonders on stuff like that. I've used them for years for little things like this.

also anytime you're taking off a bolt that has loctite using a hair dryer to heat up the area and loosen the loctite works great. BTW blue loctite is the way to go on most everything on the bike :fact

1 - 15 of 15 Posts