Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay Guys

I posted this on my forum a while a go. I am reposting it in the general public forum as I thought you might be interested in reading this article written about BST rims by a British mag called Fast Bikes. I remember someone saying that I was not being truthful about how much difference they make. Well here is an independent persons opinion. Read and enjoy! :toocool:

Attachments

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
Hay Guys

I posted this on my forum a while a go. I am reposting it in the general public forum as I thought you might be interested in reading this article written about BST rims by a British mag called Fast Bikes. I remember someone saying that I was not being truthful about how much difference they make. Well here is an independent persons opinion. Read and enjoy! :toocool:
Than that "someone" has obviously never ridden on a set... :nono

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,745 Posts
Re: BST Carnon Rims

Marchesini or Dymag? Never heard of Marchesini carbon...
They were Marchesini, I met the people that had it down at Deals Gap during the Convention, I have a picure of it some where, It was a One off, It was only one wheel as the Match to it was lost. It was the same people that had 2 R7's with ever go fast part you could ever think of :fact

Ill try to find the Picture The Number on it was 1 of 2

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
Re: BST Carnon Rims

They were Marchesini, I met the people that had it down at Deals Gap during the Convention, I have a picure of it some where, It was a One off, It was only one wheel as the Match to it was lost. It was the same people that had 2 R7's with ever go fast part you could ever think of :fact

Ill try to find the Picture The Number on it was 1 of 2
Interesting...

No disrespect to Marchesini (I have several sets of their wheels), but I wouldn't buy a carbon wheel from them (or Galespeed... I saw their prototype) until they had well been field tested. I trust their forging/casting of aluminum/magnesium without a problem, but it would take a small leap of faith if they started venturing off into carbon.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
The BST's are retarded light. Having rode a bike with a set on, I can tell you they are everything they say they are. The bike would snap so quick it was scary. The price of the things is even scarier though. At about 3.5 - 4k just for the rim minus sprockets, or rotors they are pretty much ridiculous. It makes sense that you don't really see them even in the top tier racing classes. A set of Marchesini's will only set you back about 4k minus sprockets and rotors, and that is for magnesium. The difference is modest. A magnesium set will weigh about 9.9kg or 21.8lbs. The BST's are about 30% lighter at 6.6kg or 14.6lbs. Though seven pounds is a lot keep in mind that is for the set. It will cost you an extra 4k to rid yourself of the seven pounds with the BST's.

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
The BST's are retarded light. Having rode a bike with a set on, I can tell you they are everything they say they are. The bike would snap so quick it was scary. The price of the things is even scarier though. At about 3.5 - 4k just for the rim minus sprockets, or rotors they are pretty much ridiculous. It makes sense that you don't really see them even in the top tier racing classes. A set of Marchesini's will only set you back about 4k minus sprockets and rotors, and that is for magnesium. The difference is modest. A magnesium set will weigh about 9.9kg or 21.8lbs. The BST's are about 30% lighter at 6.6kg or 14.6lbs. Though seven pounds is a lot keep in mind that is for the set. It will cost you an extra 4k to rid yourself of the seven pounds with the BST's.
You lost me, Luke... 3.5-4K for wheels vs. 4K for wheels... or did you make a typo? FWIW, I didn't pay that much more for my BST's than I did for my forged magnesium Marchesini's... maybe I just got lucky with the BST's, but then again, when Marchesini went from the 10-spoke to the 7-spoke, pricing for the "old" wheels were phenomenal through many vendors.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
Know what....... disregard what I said. I misread the item descriptions for the BST sight I was looking at. I thought it was for only one rim. It was in fact for the set. So a set of BST's and marche's will be about the same.

I still find it odd that you don't see BST in a lot of the top tier teams though.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I thought that carbon fiber rims were not allowed in the top tier classes...:confused

·
Centurion Motorsports
198 Posts
Its not the wheels it is the rule books. When Dynamag first came out they had several wheels de-laminate and cause huge accidents. The industry has never forgotten the problems and in most clubs and even international racing carbon fiber has been banned. BST has been fighting to get it changed with little success. have you ever seen anyone bounce a carbon rim. Pretty cool. I have ridden an R6 back to back on both BST and forged Alum Marchesini's. The difference is substantial. It is big enough that you have to pick new braking markers because the bike stops so much better. I would kill for a set of BST's and Braking's Carbon Kevlar rotors. Saw a 2010 R1 with that set up and they were so cool. Problem WERA and CMRA both banned Carbon wheels

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You are right about the rule book, however it is more of a political issue then anything else. Imagine if Moto GP and World Superbike were being run by South Africans. I can assure you that BST rims would have been written in to the rule books ages ago. Hopefully good sense will prevail and they will allow them in before I turn 100. There's hoping for you!

BSTs are the best rims out there. Once you understand the physics of their make up, you soon realize that nothing can touch them for lightness and strength. Almost all the mass of a BST rim is taken up by the hubs hens you get a drasticaly reduced gyroscopic effect. No matter how thin you cut a forged magnesium rim you will never be able to achieve the same effect. Literally the only mass you have flying around the outer edge of a BST rim is the tire. That is why the bike becomes so nimble. This also effects your braking time. You can start braking up to 18 meters later then when you are on a normal set of rims.:toocool:

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
with the new march mag pricing there really is no reason not to do BST's now. The alum's can weigh more then oem rims now. Since about 05 the oem rims have been so light there isn't that much of a benefit in going to aftermarket alum's. If you want them for looks then go with whatever or powdercoat them, but for performance BST is about the only only logical option left since the new mag pricing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts