Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Built motor Questions

16K views 81 replies 22 participants last post by  almano 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am building a motor over the off season. JE 13.1:1 +2 mm pistons, Carrillo light weight rods from KWS,cometic mls gasket, custom web cams, etc... I am trying to find a set of HD valve springs and retainers. YEC made a set, but I'm told its discontinued. Any help would be great. Thank you!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#2 ·
run stock cams, no need to run HD springs.
If you are roadracing this engine, i suggest running the stock cams anyway. the engine is more rideable and will make more than sufficient power. you need to have Kevin at KWS do the head work and give you good cam timing #'s. Ya may want to consider the CP 14:1 pistons they sell, but I ran the JE 13.5:1 for years. They are pretty darn good, and are less $ than the CP pistons.

#4 · (Edited)
what are you hoping to accomplish with the custom cams ? what are you doing with this engine ? i don't care if you got them for free, i personally wouldn't run a custom grind in this motor for roadracing. there simply is no way to improve on the stock cams for reliability, and ridability. But that is me. If you are getting good guidance on the cam grind, you should be fine.. but you better talk with Kevin about this.

If you are drag racing or the like, then you could potentially disregard what i'm telling you as i would be the first to tell you I don't know what would be best for drag racing.. but for roadracing, i know a thing or two. We talk with Kevin at KWS on a fairly regular basis too and years ago, he was one that helped set me straight on that. You can make one very strong and reliable SB motor using stock cams, springs, and valves. I can also say that if you are discussing this motor and the cam grind with Kevin, he will be able to tell you if what you are doing will work well. He knows R6 motors.

#5 ·
I spoke with Kevin already about this. If you're not familiar with web cams, maybe you should familiarize yourself. Everyone around these parts is so inside the box. I'm an outside of the box guy, I know well how motors work, I've built a few 1000+ whp cars and cams play a huge roll. Like I said I spoke with Kevin about this and he thinks its worth a shot, worst case, I swap stockers back in. I came I'm here looking for info on aftermarket valve springs and retainers, not looking for opinions on what I'm choosing to do. No offense. Ill be running MoTeC on this bike as well! Oh Em Geeeee!!!!!

#9 ·
I picked up a spare motor for $500, 2006 with 11k on it. Got the FSR forged JE pistons for a great price. 13.1:1 cr, Kevin is applying the lightweight Carrillo rods, have a big bore cometic head gasket, and Kevin is gliding my head work. Figured might as well go for a fun over bore motor, with a beautiful KWS head. Looking to make 235+rwhp, in a fully streetable bike. Just sinething different. I can't wait. I really need to find valvetrain components though. Apparently YEC discontinued the valve springs and high pressure oil pumo unfortunately. :0(

#10 ·
ok. So not a closed course roadrace bike.. i understand now. yes, Kevin will get you sorted. He knows his stuff. Again, i was saying stick with stock cams for roadracing (as in knee on the ground closed course competition). If you want a "go fast" street bike, anything goes. You are not as worried about full lean angle closed throttle, to open throttle situations.

#14 ·
i don't know if that is possible without turbo, or how much would nitro add ? .. Not with what he has discussed doing thus far anyway. What you see above in my photos, even with MR12 oxygenated race fuel, is about 135-137HP but good torque increases. Pulls off corners very hard.

#13 ·
here's my head that came back from KWS last year.. porting, some epoxy in the intakes to increase velocity, stock springs, stock cams.

all new stock valves, machined the surface, CNC cut the valve seats.

CP 2mm+ 14:1 pistons KWS spec

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#17 ·
235 hp in what kind of vacuum??
I dont get why you think a "street" motor (pump) gas is gona make more than 140 on the most generous of dynos. FYI Star Racing knows a think or 2 about cylinder head performance. Also qualifying yourself with builing 1000hp car engines isnt impressive. Especially now when a kid with a paper route and ebay account could build one in his back yard. :D

#18 ·
Really think its that simple to build a 1000+whp 6 cylinder Audi? You must me on crack. 235 was a misstype, I'm looking to make 135- 150 on pump. How many 1000+ low 9 second street cars have you built? With air conditioning, navigation and all. Why the shit talking when you know nothing about me? Build a 1000+whp street 6 cylinder then give me a call. Paper route huh? I have over $20,000 in MoTeC electronics alone, my motor was roughly 12 grand to build, $6000 dog box, etc... Then chassis work, cage, safety equipment, parachute, etc.. Set the world record for most powerful 2.8 liter VR6 in the world. Sponsored by injector dynamics, T1, driveshaft shop etc... i guess they disagree with you on how easy it is to make 1200+. Hp at the flywheel. Tell me a kid with a paper route can build this:

http://youtu.be/fAVOSbr4ujg

People just don't know how to give credit when it's due. My Audi put a bus length on a modded hyabusa from 60-160. Please don't down play my hard work and knowledge. You come off as a big time troll. So at this point, I'm Gina kindly tell you to **** off. I don't even understand the point of you posting, because you sound like a complete fool.

#32 ·
What kinda credit do you want that you are a wallet?? Oh noes... not a modded booosa. The defacto standard for fast? :lmao
Im pretty fast... how many competition licenses do you currently hold?
I guess I can flash my financials and assets to impress you?:bowroll

Im pretty sure I can uncover a bike or 2 outta my garage that will run slowass 8s@160+ on pump gas. Yawn.

I can contract to build stuff too. Doesnt mean everyone should bow to my large size penis.
:idhitit

#20 · (Edited)
150hp r6 is not going to be possible. My buddy Charlie Mavros build the fastest gsxr750 i have ever seen. MY engine builder (and partner with my fuel injector service business) built that motor. KWS did the head work. Charlie had crazy custom cams ground that Kevin really didn't know would for sure work, but Charlie did it. 3mm overbore, crazy cams, porting, mr12 fuel.. fastest mid wt bike i ever raced against. STILL.. ! it was only in the 153hp range. So 150 out of an r6 ?? ain't gonna happen. Mark Miller Jr. has the fastest r6 in the country more than likely (watch my you tube vid of us racing at Daytona). He has 2-3x the $ i have in my superbike motor and it's about 143+- if i were to guess. Mine is every bit of 135hp and i was able to draft pass one time, but no way was my bike as fast.

#22 ·
More power to you. Even moto 2 bikes don't push past 150hp

#30 ·
moto 2 engines are spec sealed honda engines. Spec ecu (can't make any changes to em), spec fuel.. they are not as fast as the tv commentators make em out to be. My guess is most top club racing ss builds with mr12 fuel are making more than the reported "140" they claim on Tv. I have talked with Robertino Pietri and another rider in Moto2 and they describe the bikes as "slow".. compared to some bikes they rode in AMA and other top level ccs/wera competition.

#25 · (Edited)
I can't speak from experience with bikes but all my race motors and hell my street builds in cars nothing but ferrea in the head. I do know they make springs and retainers for Harley's it's worth a shot to call. I'm sure they would make them a custom set

And now that I think about it. I think you have a good shot at hitting 150. Cams in general Webb is top tear IMO doesn't get better really. And to top it off (most people on here won't know who Shane T is) you have arguably one of the top tuners in the world hands down

#26 ·
Thank you! Someone who understands instead of shoving me off as some shit talker. I know the guys at ferrea too, ill call them tomorrow see what they have or can do for me. My buddy at Web seems to be confident he'll be able to find me springs and retainers. I have the graves adjustable cam sprockets and tensioner, there will be no expense spared like most of my builds. Nice to see you are familiar with Shane, not only is he my tuner, but he is a very good friend as well. Thanks for the vote of confidence bud!

#27 ·
You should make a build thread.

#33 ·
I do all of my own work but machine work, and tuning. What's up your ass besides your gay lovers rod??? Piss off you nobody. I'm far from a wallet, you don't even know me. I came in here to try to find info on valvetrain parts, and I found a bunch of trolls mad at the world. What's the matter? Daddy never loved you? You're afraid to come out of the closet? Get back to spanning it to lady men you butt pirate. Isn't it the empty cans that make the most noise? You're just a drop of sweat on my brow.
I'm sure injector dynamics, driveshaft shop, T1, cat cams, ferrea, etc.. All sponsor me because I'm a wallet right? Thanks for adding nothing but gay to my thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.