Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Im pretty new to the forums and ive been reading a lot. I just wanted your guys'/gal's opinions on buying gear before buying the bike. I want a black R6 and im just waiting on the fund for it. But in the meanwhile do you guys think its not a good choice to buy gear ahead of time or buy it when i get the bike? Just wanted your input on this. I just want to get the gear first so i can go buy the bike and ride out of the dealership will a good amount of gear on. And save up a little more for a down payment. What are your opinions?

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
that's a pretty smart idea.

a lot of people are probably going to say "bah just get a textile suit and an HJC helmet and you're fine"

well, you COULD be fine, but why risk it. getting gear before a bike is an awesome idea. good to see a responsible new rider. its a very rare occurrence

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for your input. Honestly i bought the gear already and just wanted approval. LoL. Its not a complete waste of money though. I can wear it when my buddies let me ride their bikes. I have access to a R1 and Ducati 848. Im sticking with buying an R6 even though my buddies have higher CC bikes. They are too scary fast for me. I think i would kill myself and smaller the bike the more nimble they are. I like handling more than speed.

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
we got a smart one here. congrats on a good decision, most people ask about what can i do to make my bike faster, and you ask about safety (too bad more people don't do that). an old friend of mine went down pulling out of the dealership.

the four most important safety choices.... helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots!!!!!! buy em all.

take the course too. that will help with saftey and skills!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I just picked up the last of my gear today. I got a helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots. I think i got a pretty good deal on my gear. I just need to wait til i can go pick up the bike for the price i want it for.

·
Registered
31 Posts
we got a smart one here. congrats on a good decision, most people ask about what can i do to make my bike faster, and you ask about safety (too bad more people don't do that). an old friend of mine went down pulling out of the dealership.

the four most important safety choices.... helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots!!!!!! buy em all.

take the course too. that will help with saftey and skills!!
is this ur friend http://youtube.com/watch?v=FxbHyEIkgdU :lmao

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
haha nice. now that was funny. no that wasn't him, he was pulling out and it was his first time on brand new tires. he was pulling out and didn't realize how slick new tires are. he didn't have anything other than gloves or a helmet. and his brand spanken new gsxr, luckily he did have frame sliders so it there was barely a scratch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My friend tell me im getting really good gear for a noobie. I trust their judgement and got what they told me to. Just need to get the bike!

·
R1+5
507 Posts
if your a new rider, get an R6. anything higher is a death wish :)
actually let your ego or your balls grow bigger and you'll die or go down, depends on the person you are, just dont go beyond your limits its like example

"i been in this twisty road two times or three and I know i can do better or go faster; forget that, know the whole bloody road, know the bends, know the tar snakes on the ground and gravel on the road"

doesnt matter higher CC or not, R6 new gen or old, just dont be over yourself

ride safe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea i ride my buddys R1 and that thing is way to fast for me. Too much power. Ive ridden the R6 before and feel that it is more than enough power to get my adrenaline pumping.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
there is nothing wrong with buying gear first........shoot when i first learned how to ride a bike...my 02 r1 at the time, i bought a helmet,boot,gloves,jacket..way before i even bought my bike....

·
Registered
23 Posts
thats the smartest thing i've heard in a VERY long time! WTG dude! :werd

just don't get around a bunch of squids and let them tell u it's not cool to wear gear!

·
I'll do my best.
35 Posts
Well, when I bought my first bike, the dealership delivered it for free and I stored in the garage until my gear came in. IT WAS THE LONGEST TWO WEEKS OF MY LIFE. LOL.

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
Nothing wrong(or noob) with being prepared!

·
im michael jordan ballin
749 Posts
I did exactly that, but for me I just couldn't wait to ride, and I had my gear about a month before my msf course and before I got my bike.

I think its smart, this way you can find better deal by shopping earlier!

·
Registered
288 Posts
awesome man, i commend you for having a brain! also, remember this- if you have an 80$ brain, get an 80$ helmet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm in the same process as you are. My gloves just came in and I already got the helmet and boots. I'm working on getting the jacket. I told my friends about it and they all told me "You don't have a bike yet!"

I'm glad people here are very supportive on our decisions.

In case you guys want to know I got the Alpine Star GP Plus gloves and love it. I wore it all day when I got it in. Very comfortable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts