Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm purchasing a R6 in Pennsylvania the price is good. He has the title and the vin checks out to be not stolen. He claims the bike is inspected until later this year. What exactly will I need to look out for or paperwork to have before buying?

The title has date of issue 3/19/14

Should I look be worried, look into this more, or find a different bike?
The price is 3900 for a 2006 with 6500 miles and seller is firm on buyer paying fees and taxes.

·
Make good choices.
2,798 Posts
Disclaimer: I'm in California. Sorry, maybe vehicle laws/procedures are different

What makes you say that it's unregistered?

The part of your post that sticks out to me is this:

The title has date of issue 3/19/14
So he just re-titled it to his name on 3/19 and now he's selling it on 3/29? If that's the case it would also be registered (unless it's non-op) at the same time the title is transferred to his name.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Disclaimer: I'm in California. Sorry, maybe vehicle laws/procedures are different

What makes you say that it's unregistered?

The part of your post that sticks out to me is this:

So he just re-titled it to his name on 3/19 and now he's selling it on 3/29? If that's the case it would also be registered (unless it's non-op) at the same time the title is transferred to his name.
He says that he purchased the bike off of a friend he didn't plan on ridingin it he purchased it solely to sell so he didn't get a plate. He also claims to be a PA state constable and says he is registered on the state website.

·
Make good choices.
2,798 Posts
He says that he purchased the bike off of a friend he didn't plan on ridingin it he purchased it solely to sell so he didn't get a plate. He also claims to be a PA state constable and says he is registered on the state website.
What you need to do is talk to some people that are local.... Or your DMV...
Agreed. I'm not familiar with any such process. Maybe some PA people will chime in on this thread. Or better yet, scour the DMV website (or call them) to find the most reliable information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed. I'm not familiar with any such process. Maybe some PA people will chime in on this thread. Or better yet, scour the DMV website (or call them) to find the most reliable information.
I would call DMV and I've been reading everything on their site but they are closed on weekends. I'm just wondering if there are any penalties for having it unregistered? Will I run into trouble at the DMV if the title is under his name but the bike has not plate and unregistered?

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
And, why would you trust a cop? They're lying bastards anyway
lol... asking a cop about the "law"... might as well make it up yourself.

I would just type up a bill of sale stating the bike is free of all liens and the seller is authorized to enter into the sale contract.

Then run down to the DMV and get it transferred into your name immediately.

Dont know if PA has "title loan" places... but thats probably the #1 way to get screwed on a vehicle sale.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol... asking a cop about the "law"... might as well make it up yourself.

I would just type up a bill of sale stating the bike is free of all liens and the seller is authorized to enter into the sale contract.

Then run down to the DMV and get it transferred into your name immediately.

Dont know if PA has "title loan" places... but thats probably the #1 way to get screwed on a vehicle sale.
Well I wanted to know if there were any fees or penalties for having an unregistered bike. He is firm on buyer paying fees and taxes. Also since the bike is unregistered it hasn't been inspected I do not know if this bike is road worthy and he has no interest in registering the bike just to inspect it.

·
V-twins Rock
425 Posts
I would wait and go into the DMV and ask them all of your questions. I know when I lived in Aurora, CO. I had taken my time rebuilding a wrecked bike that I had, and the DMV charged me a late fee for not getting the title but into my name right away.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Well I wanted to know if there were any fees or penalties for having an unregistered bike. He is firm on buyer paying fees and taxes. Also since the bike is unregistered it hasn't been inspected I do not know if this bike is road worthy and he has no interest in registering the bike just to inspect it.
the only penalty would be on the sellers end... if he did not carry insurance.
Probabaly why he didnt register it. Inspection is not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I will say this. I live in Alabama, I bought a 2005 R1 from a guy in Georgia who bought it.. His wife said sell the bike or she leaves. He sold the bike to me unregistered. We wrote out pages of documentation and a bill of sale, along with the bill of sale from where he purchased the bike.

Long story short I had to track down the guy, that sold the bike to the guy I bought the bike from, and track down the guy I bought the bike from. Drove back down to Georgia, had to fax the original owner papers to fax back to me, guy I bought the bike from registered it in his name and made another bill of sale for me purchasing it that day...

Never buy an unregistered bike. Huge headache.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I will say this. I live in Alabama, I bought a 2005 R1 from a guy in Georgia who bought it.. His wife said sell the bike or she leaves. He sold the bike to me unregistered. We wrote out pages of documentation and a bill of sale, along with the bill of sale from where he purchased the bike.

Long story short I had to track down the guy, that sold the bike to the guy I bought the bike from, and track down the guy I bought the bike from. Drove back down to Georgia, had to fax the original owner papers to fax back to me, guy I bought the bike from registered it in his name and made another bill of sale for me purchasing it that day...

Never buy an unregistered bike. Huge headache.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
well I can see why its a headache... reading isnt strong here! ;)

·
My Bonneville eats me.
1,028 Posts
You will be fine. All you need is the title signed to your name and a bill of sale. The law has no say if you don't want to register it for street use if you intend on using it for the track.

When I sold my R6 and Street Triple I signed over a power of attorney, basically giving the buyers the right to NOT sign the title right away so they could resell the bikes directly to someone else. On paper, it would look like the initial buyer had nothing to do with owning the bike; I was directly selling it to the person they were selling it to.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Y...
When I sold my R6 and Street Triple I signed over a power of attorney, basically giving the buyers the right to NOT sign the title right away so they could resell the bikes directly to someone else. On paper, it would look like the initial buyer had nothing to do with owning the bike; I was directly selling it to the person they were selling it to.
all I have to say is YOU ARE STONE CRAZY.

Your name on the title makes you the golden goose/pot of gold/etc if that bike is involved in an accident, etc. A notorized bill of sale will help this... but I would NEVER leave my name on the title of any vehicle sold or not in my possession or give anyone power of attorney.;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.