Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The last two rides I've gone out for I have noticed a strange noise coming from the front area of my bike. The sound is like a buzzing type noise. It's kind of like the noise of a baseball card in the spokes (only not nearly as loud or dramatic).

After about 40minutes of riding, it begins to happen. It happens from about 3500-5500rpm, when accelerating modestly or heavily. It only happens when I'm at speed (doesn't happen if I'm standing still in neutral or with the clutch pulled in). However, I'm not sure if it happens if I'm at speed and pull the clutch in and rev - i can almost hear something, but can't tell if I'm just imagining it - if the noise is there then it's not nearly as loud as when it's in gear.

It's an 05, ~8600miles, about 250miles on a full synthetic oil change, it runs between 165-190degrees depending if I'm in town or on open roads, and I use 93oct gas. All fluid levels are good as well.

Anyone who can help me out??.

·
Registered
31 Posts
mine started recently and does the same. i have an 06 with the same milage. yamahas have a tendency to click, tick, or buzz. i took mine completely apart just to make sure. it happens to most bikes and shouldn't be anything to worry about. it's annoying i know, but you'll get used to it

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had an issue that sounds identical to yours with my last bike, a CBR 600. It was the clutch plates wobbling and causing that noise you described which is like a buzzing/whirring noise from an unbalanced or loose rotating object/s. Engaging and disengaging the clutch affected the noise too. So, I bought a "kit" with all the different clutch plates and springs and no more problem with the CBR. I don't know what causes them to make that noise over time, maybe a worn out tension spring (looks like one of the plates, on the CBR anyway). Anyways, my 2002 just started making this noise and is getting worse, so I'll be buying a kit for it too soon. Besides, a new and freshly broken in clutch is awesome, you can shift with a lot more confidence and you can feel it really grab and take off faster too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts