Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Ride for you, not others.
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for all of the advice that was given to me regarding track budget. I completed my first track day and had a blast:nocontrol. Going to the track lets you know your strengths and weaknesses as they compare to others. I am hooked and can't wait until next time. I must say a crowded track is sometime frustrating. It also sucks to get around a 1000 in the turns and then he blows by you on the straights, and it starts all over again.

Anyway, I'm off to rob a bank to support the new habit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What day were you there? I went on the 30th, sunday. It was such a great experience. I know what you mean about the liter bikes. I felt faster in the corners but on the straights it was tough keeping up. I did get around a gixer 1000 with an older guy riding it coming out of the last turns onto the front straight. Did you see how fast you got the bike? What were your lap times?

·
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What day were you there? I went on the 30th, sunday. It was such a great experience. I know what you mean about the liter bikes. I felt faster in the corners but on the straights it was tough keeping up. I did get around a gixer 1000 with an older guy riding it coming out of the last turns onto the front straight. Did you see how fast you got the bike? What were your lap times?
I was there on the 30th as well. I took the novice rider school. I had a 05 R6 track bike, orange with a blue stripe. My lap times were not anything to brag about though. My fastest was 2:04.02. I didn’t feel that comfortable passing on the outside on some of the turns. I also need to work on staying in the correct gear coming out of the corners. It’s funny though, I think I would have been faster on my street bike. This was my first time riding my track bike and my R6s has more low-end torque than my track bike. If I didn’t stay high in the rpm, I couldn’t accelerate at all. Lesson learned though. I can’t wait for my next track day.

What were your times, what were you riding, and what group were you in?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bro, I know exactly who you were. I was in the novice school as well. My friend and I were both on r6's mine was charcoal and his was blue. We sat in the back of the class. You got around me a couple of times. That was a blast and your bike was sweet. I wish I knew this before going, I would have said whatz up. You bested my times, my best of the day was a 2:07 and I missed my goal of hitting 150mph by 3mph. On the front straight I got her up to 147 according to the speedo.

Doug

·
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Cool, I have no idea have fast (top speed) I went. I had them put the transponder over my speedometer. Going in, my goal was to be under 2 minutes but once I saw how crowded it was I changed my goal. I will only pass on the outside in turns 5-6, or the section leading to the front straight 16-20. Turns 16-20 was the easiest section for me to pass in because you can use all 4 of those left hand turns as one big turn, so you have a lot of room to adjust if needed. It's hard to pass on the outside if you do not trust the rider in front of you.

·
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't wait to go again. I'm thinking of going to streets of willow on the 11. It's only $125, and then go again (if I can afford to) on the 19th or 20th at California Speedway. What's your buddy's name and what will your goals be when you go again? And thanks for the bike comment. I'm thinking of painting it though.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
hey man, not sure if you're going to this day or not, but I'll be there with a few friends. I'm driving a blue 93 ranger thats missing most of its front end and have a blue, tracked out R6. Look me up if you end up going.

·
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey man, not sure if you're going to this day or not, but I'll be there with a few friends. I'm driving a blue 93 ranger thats missing most of its front end and have a blue, tracked out R6. Look me up if you end up going.
I will not be there tomorrow. My wife could not find leathers that fit her. I am also going to Button Willow on the 28th and the AMA weekend is the 25-27. So since my wife culdn't ride, I thought I would save the day off until we could both go. Anyway, I sure you guys will have fun. The weather should be great.

·
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
What are the requirements for the track if you dont mind me asking?
It depends on what group you go with but basically you need to either remove or tape your mirrors, blinkers and lights. Remove the fuses as well so the lights don't get hot and melt the tape onto your lens. Also you must remove your plate. You either a 1 or 2 piece suit. good tires, riding boots, goves, DOT helmet. Most groups will have you take some type of new riders course if it is your first time on the track. The course could be as short as a 20 minute discussion or a half day class between riding sessions. There's a little more to it but this is pretty much what the track org will have you do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Didn't fasttrack tell you to tape over your speedo?
I had my first trackday with them at cal speedway on my 02 f4i in early february, i think my fastest was 2:04 too. Soo cautious not to wreck it like 2 other guys in the novice course, had to ride it home.

·
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Didn't fasttrack tell you to tape over your speedo?
I had my first trackday with them at cal speedway on my 02 f4i in early february, i think my fastest was 2:04 too. Soo cautious not to wreck it like 2 other guys in the novice course, had to ride it home.
Their rules say you have to but during tech they did tell me to. In fact, I had one of the tech guys put the transponder over my speedo and he said, "don't you want to know how fast you are going." I said, its not important.

When I return, my goal is to drop at least 10 seconds. When I went, the first 3 sessions had light rain and I was not agressive at all. My day was cut short as well because my friend wrecked and we left after that session.

·
Registered
339 Posts
awesome stuff dude. I was there on March 29th, i got a lap time of 1:45.115 and will probably try out the advanced group next time.

oh and about the 1000's if you get a good drive outta the corners most people cant pass you, I only had like 1 guy pass me all day on the back straight and i out breaked him right now.

Im trying to go back on May 10th. Depending if my buddy gets his bike back up and runing in time.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts