Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 R6. The cam chain Tensioner sounds like it is stuck or not working. Rattling noise coming from motor at idle. I think it also could be effecting the perfomance of the bike. It jolts sometimes but either way I am replacing. Can anyone give a little guidence on what needs to be done to change it? If there is tricks to tighten? I am purchasing a a OEM new replacement CCT for it. It appears that I will need to remove the idle adjuster (not sure how to do that). Then it appears that I would need to remove the two bolts on the left and right side of the CCT. There also is one bolt head on the top of the CCT. I would assume that is how you tighten the tension? Need to know how tight or if I need to do anything like that. I am no mechanic but I do not want to pay $150 labor for a 30 minute job... PLus I like learning how to do things myself. Any advise would be grateful.. Cheers!

·
Registered
457 Posts
I would grab a copy of your repair manual and start there.

That said, usually the cam chain tensioners are spring loaded... but iv not replaced one on a r6.. Are you sure its cam chain noise? typically the clutch baskets rattle like crazy at an idle and will go away if you grab the clutch and release it a little bit in gear (noise goes away)

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I suggest looking into a manual CCT from APE.... probably cheaper than stock and they dont wear out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys thanks for the suggestion... The noise sounds like it is coming right where the cam chain is.. From what I have read and someone mentioned to me when they drove my bike that sounded like that was it.. I would rather stay OEM parts since the other requires to take off the valve cover and since I am no mechanic I would rather not even try something like that... I will look into that that clutch basket. The noise is a rattle that you hear once the bike is warmed up. It only rattles at idle and then once you drive the rattle goes away. It drives me crazy... I just want it fixed....:comp

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
You should've just bought one from the dealer, wo knows how long a used one has been in use and if it still works and for how long it might work.
All you have to do is put the #1 cylinder at TDC and swap the tensioners then pull the pin. If you don't have it in the right spot the tension in the motor will make it move and then your timing could be off.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Im not saying its not the cam chain making noise.. just thinking

A.) Clutch/Trans noise would be more common
B.) With so much stuff surrounding the internals of the engine (plastics/intake tubes/frame tubes ect) it would be nearly impossible to pinpoint a noise just by listening to it from afar.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
agree with both statements... The used part looks to be in good condition from a bike with 9,000 miles... Man it rattles pretty load when idling at stops and such... If anyone has a link on "how to install" let me know... I might actually purchase a new one. they are about $80 bucks plus shipping... So will see.. the noise I hear could be just a "Yamaha rattle" but I would like to try and fix.. Again, thanks for the support.. Love me R6..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts