Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s up guys? I’m completely new to the two wheeling world and know very little about motorcycles. I have a question. A friend of a friend of a friend told me my “cam chain tensioner” sounds like it’s either loose or too tight or shot completely. You can hear the small rattling/rubbing(?) noise come from the right side where the automatic tensioner is. Is it okay to ride on until I get it fixed? Thanks guys.

Quick Background: I just bought a 2008 r6 with 22xxx on it. Everything looks good and the last owner had it stored inside and did little aftermarket parts here and there. Brand new Pirelli Diablos front and back. Chain brand new. Oil change just done. The whole 9.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
We'd have to hear it. There is a well known tick, if you search the forum for the phrase "yamaha tick", that isn't indicative of any issue with it. In general if a tensioner or timing chain fails on an engine with an interference design, then valves meet pistons and well, that's the end of the engine. They get replaced out of (probably) an (over)abundance of caution. The design out of my '08 R6S doesn't appear to be particularly prone to wear or failure and it's the original with well over 50k on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will post a video when I get home from work if you can tell from that, that’ll be great. Thanks for your input ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I’m not sure. I bought this bike used and don’t know much about them except for your super basic things. I know there probably is a number of reason for the “wonk” at idle, but what could they be? It stops after it warms up passed 100 degrees f. It also has a Two Bro’s slip on exhaust if that makes a difference.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
550 Posts
Cam chain and valve tick sound like my brand new model.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts