Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so bought this bike a few years ago with too many miles but didn’t know 25000 was a lot for a bike, after a year or so of riding I started hearing a rattle at cold start but would go away after a few seconds! Then it got worse so I seen where people were checking the chain tensioner so I took off the cover and this is what I found! The chain is NOT loose! But the pick up is scared up and shouldn’t be because it wasn’t touching the sprocket only riding very close to it! Plus someone must have been in here before because one of the bolt holes are busted out from over tighten probably, can the case be fixed? A lot of issues!

·
Fat + S = Fast
1,331 Posts
.... that's not where the chain tensioner is.

Anyway the CPS is just a magnet, the scarring isn't hurting it. The damaged bolt hole probably means you'll have a weepy little oil leak there forever, but it's not something you need to replace the crankcases over. In short, replace the CPS if it makes you feel better but otherwise don't worry about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so the rattle at first start up? I know the tensioner is in the side of the head but the Guild that it presses against isn’t sloppy nor the chain so I wonder was the noise could be?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi , I have a problem similar to yours, my chain is tight but I think the problem is in the chain tensioner, since at 3k-4k rpm a noise is heard in the lower gear of the camshaft, which you reference in the image.

I don't think the problem comes from CPS, making a video would help.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
25k is fine so long as it wasn't regularly raced, improperly shifted or/and abused. Seals, rubber, lubrication, fluid and plastics are all affected by age, as much as mileage; plastics, particularly being affected by sun.

If the bike is dropped/wrecked, that corner is one of the typical parts that may hit pavement. That's why that chunk is gone there. I don't know what would've hit that crankshaft sensor, but it's possible that the missing chunk may have done that damage. It's probably cosmetic though; it's a magnetic pickup. Without changing the clearances between that and the crank, you can file the bur off and test the sensor. You'll probably want to thoroughly inspect that timing chain and replace if any anomalies are found.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts