Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha YZR600R, 2003 Kawasaki ZX10R, 1985 Yamaha FJ1100, '80 Suzuki RM80, '79 Honda XR75
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a winter nap, I've taken my '01 R6 out twice. Last year installed a new AGM. Lately if the bike doesn't start right away and if I have to crank it a few times. I will usually try for a few seconds., Stop a few and try again. Well lately after the second crank over period, it starts to slow down and then it may or may not crank a 3rd or 4th time.

I charged the battery overnight and it fired right up. Drive two miles away, got a beverage, bike would not crank as if the battery is dead. Now i have to assume two things. The battery capacity is reduced and its not charging while running.

Does that sound like a logical conclusion at this point?

I have a portable jump starter which I used. Once connected the bike fired up immediately.

I get home, put it on a trickle charger for less than a minute before I just "tried" to see if it would crank. After the minute or two on the trickle charger, it fired up fast and craned strong. The charger wouldn't have had time to charge it obviously so I don't know what's going on?

Voltage reading with te battery disconnected is exactly 12v. Voltage when charging is 13.60v

So in addition to this confusing chain of events, I was looking around the bike and noticed two weird things.
The washer under the bolt that holds the plastic chain guide thing is completely covered in white powder or sulfated.
About two links on my chain are white and and have sulfation powder. Please see pics.

This struck me as odd because neither are near the battery at all. Close inspection doesn't show any leaking or dripping. Just these two things covered in white powder.
With the battery out, I used a UV light and went over the bike looking for more sulfation and there nothing anywhere else.

Does anyone have a guess what might be going on with this?

Last note: I have never had any kind of these problems in the past. Battery terminals are clean, and everything else is connected and working and have never see any sulfation any place on the bike.
Please help??? Thank You!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Font

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha YZR600R, 2003 Kawasaki ZX10R, 1985 Yamaha FJ1100, '80 Suzuki RM80, '79 Honda XR75
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my guess bad/weak stator and/or rectiifier, battery is degraded. and something was on the chain that oxidized/hydrated over winter or during the recent rides.
Thanks for your reply. I guess I am just going to start throwing parts at it. :(

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Agree with @gpounce . I have a full time volt monitor on mine and what I've noticed over the years is, the hotter the engine, the lower the output voltage at idle. Heat increases its internal resistances; makes it less efficient. The load from the engine fan takes it over the edge; it is literally relying on the battery; and can watch it drain the battery. (fan doesn't run long) Of course it resumes charging the battery once I either start rolling or once the engine fan turns off. I've added accessories that has maxed the stator out, and the stator has 80k miles on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agree with @gpounce . I have a full time volt monitor on mine and what I've noticed over the years is, the hotter the engine, the lower the output voltage at idle. Heat increases its internal resistances; makes it less efficient. The load from the engine fan takes it over the edge; it is literally relying on the battery; and can watch it drain the battery. (fan doesn't run long) Of course it resumes charging the battery once I either start rolling or once the engine fan turns off. I've added accessories that has maxed the stator out, and the stator has 80k miles on it.
Thanks. I know and agree. Motorcycle charging systems are fairly simply and the basic components are the same on most (Stator, Rectifier/regulator, battery) except a few BMW’s have a belt driven alternator. I’ll do the testing.

To be honest it’s that one bolt sitting on an island away from the battery covered in sulfate that has me stumped and is what I was really hoping someone would have an answer for. “Something like that can happen when….” But nobody seems to have seen it.

It’s literally the only thing on the bike covered in that white powdery stuff. I’d think I would see some signs of it on or around the battery terminals or some leakage beneath battery but it’s as clean as a whistle. I even search the whole bike in the dark with a UV light and nothing. Weird to me.
Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When aluminum corrodes, the "rust" shows up as a white powder.
Thank you for replying. I appreciate your input. That's good information. I look at that bolt with the white powder more closely, it seems to only have affected the washer that is between the bolt and the plastic which is even more confusing to me because the washer is made out of steel. Granted confusing me isn't that tough of a task!!! Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts