Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tank slapper under hard acceleration cause me to low side probably between 60-100 (honest don't remember). I cracked the stator cover and got a good amount of small pebbles and dirt inside the cover. I believe the tip over sensor kicked in, but I was in a dazed-ish state cause I hit the back of my head/dragged my face down the road (no concussion luckily).. thank god for helmets.

I replaced my stator generator (because it had too much dirt to fully clean), my stator cover + removed the flywheel/rotor to clean behind it and check for damages.

I didn't see any metal in the oil + 3 other oil changes I did without running the bike. Dirt that I could see was fully cleaned before putting bike back together.

I turned the bike on tonight for the first time in a month and it sounded almost like it was slow? No tapping or weird noises, just like it wasn't running right? My battery died after 3 starts and it sounded worst as I went, so I'm praying that this is literally because the voltage was too low to begin with.

If anyone has anything to add let me know - I'll be updating this post after I run out to grab a tender in the morning and leave it charging for a bit.

Edit 1 - I should mention I removed the oil pan and cleaned it and the sump by hand. Noticed some dirt/sand specks at the bottom - nothing up high though.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Great that you're okay. If you were dazed at all, you had a concussion. There are varying levels of severity however.

Yeah likely damaged some wires. Manual has specs for Ohms on the stator coil. Check connections between stator and regulator. Have the battery tested. It may be old and all the cranking pushed it over the edge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great that you're okay. If you were dazed at all, you had a concussion. There are varying levels of severity however.

Yeah likely damaged some wires. Manual has specs for Ohms on the stator coil. Check connections between stator and regulator. Have the battery tested. It may be old and all the cranking pushed it over the edge.
Thank you - yes you may be right might have been a very small one. I went home and worked on the bike that night I was so sad lmao.

I forgot to mention it's a 2020 r6. It may just be the good ole' Yamatick that's supposedly a thing... and I may just finally be paying attention to it because I dropped the bike. I'm having it looked at Thursday so hopefully the mechanic gives me good news.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Our helmets aren't really designed to prevent concussion; just meant to keep us from cracking our heads (+skin) open. In order to better prevent concussion, they'd all need to be ridiculously large. There have been some studies on woodpeckers. Memory serving, what they found is they increase cranial fluid and pressure when pounding their beaks against trees. Last I heard they were experimenting with special collars, intending to mimic what the woodpeckers did, in humans. I'm going to guess that a woodpecker has a lot more fluid and space in that skull, versus humans. If that's the case then the benefits will be limited in comparison.

·
2 wheels > 4 wheels
170 Posts
Glad you're alive and able to walk! I hope you get a full physical and/or a scan. Nothing to freak about, but concussions are never to be taken lightly. Pro contact-sport players get them quite often, but that doesn't mean it's okay either.

As for the bike, it could be that the oil got inside the cylinders and/or intake manifolds, or somewhere else. Run a good quality injector cleaner a couple of times. A healthy battery should read 12.8 V. Like Intuit said, check the resistances for the stator. If all checkout fine, then good. If not, replace only with OEM Yamaha parts. Do NOT get cheap knock-offs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts