Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
2008 R6, SS600
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gear rod on my 2000 r6 goes through a hole in the frame, and looking at it, there is no way it will work if i flip the strut 180 degree's so i have gp shifting. Are there ways to do it on this model R6??

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Pretty sure I seen where you can bend a rod to fit somewhere on here. It might of been a rod that you buy prebent sure if you search enough you'll find it or some one here might know where it is.

·
2008 R6, SS600
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that'd be easier actually. I have no idea how to find that though, i'll have a good look to find it but i'll be surprised if i do!

If you are bored and want to help out you can have a search too as you may have a better idea of what to find!!

Thanka all, Bongo

·
Custom User Title
1,827 Posts
uhm

you can buy a simple GP shift rod from woodcraft. you don't need whole rear sets, just the shaft. it goes outside the frame. not a big deal if you ask me though.

·
2008 R6, SS600
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sweet mate thanks. It can help on left turn exits though if you wanna change up when still in a lean. I have very bad ankles that don't move that much after too many bmx accidents lol, so all the help i can get the better!

·
Custom User Title
1,827 Posts
bongo said:
sweet mate thanks. It can help on left turn exits though if you wanna change up when still in a lean. I have very bad ankles that don't move that much after too many bmx accidents lol, so all the help i can get the better!

its true.
though it helps a lot in right hand turns as well

turn 5a at t-hill going down a SHARP off camber right hander i can loseor catch up to my buddy cause i can start shifting while still leaned over, where he has to climb back up on the bike to get his foot under the shifter.

·
2008 R6, SS600
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
now, the thing the rod attaches to, the piece of metal that you flip 180 degree's, at the moment it is pointing basically straight towards the ground. 180 degree's straight up, well there isn't enough space i don't think! I don't know names for things sorry!! Can i adjust somehting so that i can keep it on the lower half of the strut coming out of the gear box???

Thanks for the link, although the video's don't work!

·
2008 R6, SS600
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
can't find anywhere in the UK yet to get the rod. they want $68 to send it to me!! it's only $24.99 to buy off them, is tiny, and weighs about 100 grams. ****ers..

·
Custom User Title
1,827 Posts
bongo said:
now, the thing the rod attaches to, the piece of metal that you flip 180 degree's, at the moment it is pointing basically straight towards the ground. 180 degree's straight up, well there isn't enough space i don't think! I don't know names for things sorry!! Can i adjust somehting so that i can keep it on the lower half of the strut coming out of the gear box???

Thanks for the link, although the video's don't work!

you take off that part and flip it around (not degree's, but so the black rubber part now sticks over the frame (barely)

·
2008 R6, SS600
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i don't understand what you mean when you say "not degree's"

if you understand the picture, can you tell me if i'm right or wrong??

I was under the impression that i had to remove the piece of metal that clamps around the shaft coming out of the gearbox, flip it 180 degree's so it is pointing in the opposite direction, then whenever you pressed down to change down, it would reverse the action and actually change up...

·
1,309 Posts
You're half-correct. You also need to turn it around. You're flipping it 180 degrees vertically and horizontally, so it ends up upside down and backwards. That way it clears everything.

·
2008 R6, SS600
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
well, thanks for everyone's help, it was really appreciated, and, well, helpful! Times like these make me realise how cool forums are where you can come on, ask a question, and get a bunch of people you'll probably never meet, that will spend their time to help you out. *sniffle*

Lol, i tore the bike to bits, and got down to the nitty griity bending, which after a couple of minutes resulted in major failure! First of all, the bolt on the gear linkage that held on the rotating head that you attach the rod to, rwas already rounded, from previous owner i can only presume. I ground it off and found a bolt that worked fine.

But then the rod just snapped. It was ridiculously brittle! I've bent aluminium before, and this didn't act like aluminium normally does. Anyway, a trip to the breakers (blacks) down the road got me 2 more rods for £5. Next rod i tried worked a treat. All back together and it feels sweet.

Kind of adds another thing to my bike that makes me know it's mine, if you get what i mean! More importantly, hopsefully i'll like it and it'll help on the track next month.

Bongo

·
1,309 Posts
Be sure to get some practice time in with the GP-pattern before you get to the track. It took me about two months to completely retrain my foot the first time I made the change. I had about 40,000 miles on bikes when I made the change though, so your mileage may vary. I didn't shift the wrong way very many times, but when I did, it was interesting. If I had been in the middle of overcooking a corner at the track at the time, it easily could have been disastrous.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts