Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Digital Gangster
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get to my airbox/carbs/spark plugs and am trying to remove my tank. Normally not such a prestigious process I assume however a steering damper is getting in the way and I am unsure of the best solution.

You can see there that it won't let me lift my tank straight back and for some reason I can not lift if up enough from the back end to get it out either. Seems like I would need to remove that large center thing on the handlebars or at least loosen it so that damper can move out of the way....unsure how to do that best however since the damper also really eliminates any moving room. This is a 2000 R6 by the way, thanks!

·
Digital Gangster
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I have made a little progress.....

However I am now stuck here....that piece does not want to budge...am I going to have to take off my whole steering assembly or something? This is crazy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just went through this same situation. i just bought my bike and I wanted to see what kind of air filter was installed. And it sucked to find out that you have to remove that whole steering damper to get the tank up. That last piece is a tight fit, but should come up. Try putting a wrench under the lower part that hangs off the top triple and tapping up on it. Like I said it is a tight fit, but it should come up.

·
Digital Gangster
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually ended up lifting the tank up and removing one of the bolts holding that thing on that bolts to the frame, I was then able to twist it and pull the tank up. I got to my air filter....it seemed kind of flimsy but hey it was dirty....so I washed it....and it fell apart...heh, was probably the original. So I ordered a new air filter and now have a week to figure out how to get my airbox all the way off, change the spark plugs and sync the carbs. Got two hoses to it but I cant seem to find the other two. The ones on the side that look like they are holding it look impossible.....always a journey.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts