Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a Yamaha R6 2co and want to fit a quad lock phone bracket to the stem. Issue is, there’s an odd nut (no Allen key insert) in the stem. Can anyone help me identify what this is for and how to remove it?

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
886 Posts
With the black cap? That holds the stop clipon incase the pinch bolt comes loose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for the reply. No I’m looking at the silver nipple protruding from the stem bolt?

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
886 Posts
Duh. That is a steering damper mount. How it comes out no idea. Perhaps from underneath.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhh that’s what it’s forrrr! Thanks for the ID. Hopefully someone knows how to get it off and I hope it comes off without having to get the stem bolt off and torqued back on.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,858 Posts
Ahhh that’s what it’s forrrr! Thanks for the ID. Hopefully someone knows how to get it off and I hope it comes off without having to get the stem bolt off and torqued back on.
I would try dynamite first. Its really effective at breaking things loose from other things.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
@redisdeadrideblue - What about the collateral damage? Think Beirut has some ammonium nitrate left?

@Hugada - There should be installation videos here: Aw shucks, It's Oyster Day Yes I know you're looking to remove it, but knowing how it's installed will lend a clue. I could be as simple as twisting it back out, counter-clockwise. They may even have uninstall videos there.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
886 Posts
Collateral damage? One of Arnold's movies from the day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone have any idea how this comes off? All the steering damper install videos I've watched don't give anything away.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Does anyone have any idea how this comes off? All the steering damper install videos I've watched don't give anything away.
Never seen that before, but I would start by either removing the steering stem nut or looking at the underside of the steering stem. Steering stem is hollow with no interior threads, so it's either held captive by the nut, some sort of snap ring, friction fit, or retained at the bottom somehow.

Do some investigating, then starting taking things apart and see what happens. That part of the bike is easy to put back together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s brilliant, thanks for that :) I don’t have a torque wrench so I’m going to get the bike up and running then get it in the garage while I pick up some leathers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts