Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an old R6 that needs everything serviced. Is there any particular type of antifreeze that R6 owners are happy with and that is easy on the aluminum parts to meet Yamaha's specs?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,538 Posts
Most Ethylene Glycol antifreezes today are OK for Aluminum. Most modern car engines are AL now. I’ve used Prestone and Zerex ( and confirmed with Zerex directly that is was OK). Just don’t use the pink, red or yellow stuff.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Most Ethylene Glycol antifreezes today are OK for Aluminum. Most modern car engines are AL now. I’ve used Prestone and Zerex ( and confirmed with Zerex directly that is was OK). Just don’t use the pink, red or yellow stuff.
Some pink (and other colours) may be "OK" to use .. it depends if it´s ethylene glycol or not .. that´s the real deal breaker!

I would still recommend to flush the system with distilled water, beetween coolant changes.

I say this, bc i use Motorex M3.0 , it´s ethyelene glycol and it´s pink :)

I dont have acess to things like "engine ice" and other coolants that you guys (US) like/aprove, i can vouch for the M3.0 tho, droped my running temp 2-3ºC over Motul and others that i can get..
Engine ice still seems to be the best.

I would say get engine ice if possible (seems to be the best), if not, take a loot at Motorex M3.0, last case, check out Motul stuff.

Reactions: 8Ball

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am actually going away from Engine Ice in my YZ125 because it keeps trashing water pump seals, and the water pump was brand new. I looked into it and I guess Engine Ice is less lubricious than more standard anti-freezes. The YZ sees exclusively track use so it is being run very hard, and maybe Engine Ice is fine in the R6. Not sure if anyone with an R6 has had issues with water pumps wearing out when using Engine Ice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts