Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that with exhausts you gotta make sure the heat is getting out. So, I'm wondering if it's even possible....or is it a BAD idea to powder coat my hotbodies megaphone exhaust? I have a raven, and I've really been dying to make my exhaust black.

Here is a pic I got online of the type of exhaust it is. My thought, is that since it's a short pipe, it wouldn't be BAD if I actually did this.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I'd imagine so.. You have to bake powder coating at several hundred degrees for it to cure, so I can't imagine the pipe getting too hot..

Why not call up the powder coater you've got in mind and ask them?

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
I got some 500deg rattle can paint and did my slip on...looks great and hasnt come off yet...

Id give that a shot, and if it doesnt last long...go have it ceramic coated...

500deg rattle can = $5 - - - - Ceramic coating =$50

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
ceramic coating or BBQ grille paint. The grille paint is great stuff.

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
A powder coating company did my ceramic coating for me. Start there, you can always ship exhaust components anywhere if you find a good deal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
some powder coaters can/will do ceramic. it is a slightly different process and setup, so you would have to call the coaters. there are high temp powders specifically meant for headers (a lot of aftermarket car and truck headers use them) but they aren't the prettiest powders i.e. usually very low gloss unless new ones have come out recently. rattle can high temps can/will last for a while but do usually burn off. You do need a good scuff on the can for it to stick and last any time. Good thing about them is YOU can touch them up as needed.

·
R6 Junkie
2,534 Posts
↑↑↑↑ Like stated above you can do high temp powder coating, or the next thing is the ceramic like everyone has mentioned.

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
some powder coaters can/will do ceramic. it is a slightly different process and setup, so you would have to call the coaters. there are high temp powders specifically meant for headers (a lot of aftermarket car and truck headers use them) but they aren't the prettiest powders i.e. usually very low gloss unless new ones have come out recently. rattle can high temps can/will last for a while but do usually burn off. You do need a good scuff on the can for it to stick and last any time. Good thing about them is YOU can touch them up as needed.
Awesome..this is great to know. I'm actually going for a flat black look rather then gloss, so this should be perfect.

I've always heard that your exhaust should always be able to let heat out and not trap it in. This is why carbon fiber is the best....because heat doesn't stay trapped in it. This is my only concern with doing this stuff to my exhaust, although then I think ....... the damn exhaust is so short that it shouldn't even matter that much right???

Am I wrong?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts