Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After you "put your bike away" for the winter there is that inevitable 60 degree day in January.

Will it do any damage to your bike if you ride it with the fuel stabilizer in it???

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
you'll be fine. it's like adding preservatives to your food. have you ever had a bad twinky? do they even makes those anymore?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
yeah, you'll be fine. That reminds me, i still need to get mine sta-bil mixed.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, does STA BIL go bad, or can you use the same bottle year after year??

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. yeah, let us know how that works out for ya jasamb :hammer

·
Registered
786 Posts
:cheers ... on the adding Sta-bil to the Sta-bil... haha .... sounds like one of those classic "blonde" moment

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Adding sta-bil is a great idea. However, not only should you add it to the tank but you should run the bike for several min. so that the sta-bil is in the lines and carbs/injectors. If you don't the carbs and fuel lines will gum up becaue that gas is not protected. Make sure to mix it well too. Grab a handful of the front brake and compress the front forks several times up and down. Then rock it side to side. I've seen unprotected carbs off of old Triumphs that were NASTY after one winter of unprotected gas.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm bound to get an intelligent resopnse like

penfold said:
Just add some sta-bil to your sta-bil.
for asking, but is it a good idea to put carb cleaner in your tank once in a while. My bike seems real peakey lately. Feels like I might be starting to get clogged.

Or will carb cleaner damage the fuel system on the "very sensitive to everything" R6.

Now I realize that the new pipe that i put on may require some tuning of the carbs, but the peakey-ness began before the pipe went on...

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
just find sometime this winter to go through your carbs if you're affraid your carbs are already dirty.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What do you do to clean em?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Pull 'em off. Pull the bowls, clean out with some good carb cleaner etc..

now with the jets.....pull the jets out soak 'em in some carb cleaner or carb dip, for alittle while. if they look clean just spray off and blow dry with compressed air. Now when you clean out the mixture screws etc.. turn them all the way in counting how many turns. this way you know how many turns to bring them out when you put them back together.

Their is more difficult shit involved like pulling welch plugs on some carbs etc.. but i usually don't worry about them unless the carbs look really nasty.

theirs really not much to it. Just keep the carbs all together (don't separate the rack)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ve never had my carbs off, is there anything I should be extra careful of in particular when I take them off..

Can i get them off just by taking the tank and the airbox off??

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
dude, i'm in chat now. stop bye. i just have another page up so i can switch back and forth to the chat and forum now :mrgreen:

:moon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts