Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I value everyone's opinion on here (well those of you I know and have grown up with on the site) so I need some help....I can't decide on what bike I want. I'm not going to ride on the street for a while so this next bike is going to be a trackday/raceday bike....I'm up in arms between an '05 R6, '05 600RR or a salvaged '04 R6 or '04 600RR....what do you guys think, buy new or buy salvaged and rebuild????????

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
if you are staying 600 class, you already know the answer bro! Think back to before the wreck...and had someone come on here and asked you, what would you have said??? LOL

Seriously tho, in the 600 class, nothing touches the Yamaha on the track, with the right riders. If you were to go litre, then yeah, look at the RR.

04-05, not much change, but the changes they have are kick ass. If you have the $$ and are only doing track, I would go '05. If you think practicle...go '04 and skin it and ride it like you rented it! :)

·
Registered
963 Posts
That's a tough one. I'd get a 2005 definitely. As much as I like the r6, the double r is a great ride - the transmission is smooth. Man, why not get an r6 for a street bike, and the honda for the track? 05 r6 in black, and the 05 rr in black tribal or better yet, custom graphics from colorzone or some shit.

By the way, termignoni makes full exhausts for the rr and the r6...

·
Registered
34 Posts
the 600rr's stylish underseat exhaust makes the bike 30 lbs heavier than the r6. that is just too much weight. go with the r6 and you'll have a better bike to modify with at the track, and already be way ahead than if you chose the rr. let me voice my opinion here and say that HONDAS ARE BLAND!

for track use, i'd buy salvage title and build it up to the specs you want. most likely you'll just put plastic race skins on it anyways...

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
RSixxr said:
well i've already decided to get an R1 mid summer for a streetbike

The R1 is awesome, but very different from the r6.

To answer your first question, go with a new one, youre going to end up spending about the same on a fucked up one that you want to fix. Plus then it will still have that many miles on it.

and with the new changes to the R6 for 05, theres no beating it in the 600 class.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
inverted forks
new rear suspension
updated frame
radial brakes and bigger rotors
bigger throttle bodies

MORE POWER!!

it is becoming quite the weapon as it matures

The only drawback is it looks like they are putting those shit-box Dunlop 218s on them, but that is an easy swap.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
udh2oskier said:
RSixxr said:
well i've already decided to get an R1 mid summer for a streetbike

i put money down on the new Raven R1, will get it in about two months. Will be keeping my R6 still.

you will not be disappointed

·
Registered
963 Posts
alright, i gotcha. R1 as the streetbike. Then I'd get the 05 r6 as a track bike. Lighter than the honda rr, so you'll already have a head start on weight reduction. Plus you can probably flick that bitch from side to side easier, but the honda does have the better transmission

rennsport plastics
double bubble from somewhere
brembo braking system (steel braided lines, brake pads, and rotors)
termignoni full exhaust race system
power commander with dynoed custom map
sato frame sliders
grave clutch protector
pitbull swingarm spools
gilles titanium rearsets with gp shifting config
earache's barends
crg levers (brake and clutch)
scotts/ohlins damper
graves shark guard
graves slide stop kit
graves velocity stacks
520 conversion
K&N air filter
70 front / 180 rear pirelli dragon supercorsas
pine air freshener

·
Registered
836 Posts
Ed said:
alright, i gotcha. R1 as the streetbike. Then I'd get the 05 r6 as a track bike. Lighter than the honda rr, so you'll already have a head start on weight reduction. Plus you can probably flick that bitch from side to side easier, but the honda does have the better transmission

rennsport plastics
sato frame sliders
grave clutch protector
pitbull swingarm spools
earache's barends
scotts/ohlins damper
graves shark guard
graves slide stop kit
graves velocity stacks
520 conversion
K&N air filter
pine air freshener

You forgot to put a No Fear sticker on there. That alone gives 5 hp on top. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Unless you are already through a few seasons of racing, and competing for a championship. I would try and find an already built '01 or '02 that someone has already accumulated a bunch of spares for. And probably will already have a decent shock and reworked forks.

Around this time of year you can pick them up for about $4k.

All you have to do is refresh the engine and tune the suspension, and you are ready to hit the track for considerably less than trying to build something yourself.

The only reason I built my race-bike from my street-bike is because I totalled my street-bike at the track thanks to some idiot Porsche driver who didn't know how to take care of his POS car.

If you decide you want to build one: Spend your money in the following order.

1 - Damper, because they are REQUIRED
2 - Bodywork. I suggest GP Composites, I've wrecked mine 3 times and not even a crack in them.
3 - Suspension. Because the stock stuff is GARBAGE. Especially on the R6.
4 - Rear-sets. Get something you can buy the parts seperately, you'll need them.
5 - Lots of Gearing choices, especially important if you race at tracks that have varied lay-outs.

Then I would start worrying about getting a few more ponies to the pavement.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RockyR6 said:
Unless you are already through a few seasons of racing, and competing for a championship. I would try and find an already built '01 or '02 that someone has already accumulated a bunch of spares for. And probably will already have a decent shock and reworked forks.

Around this time of year you can pick them up for about $4k.

All you have to do is refresh the engine and tune the suspension, and you are ready to hit the track for considerably less than trying to build something yourself.

The only reason I built my race-bike from my street-bike is because I totalled my street-bike at the track thanks to some idiot Porsche driver who didn't know how to take care of his POS car.

If you decide you want to build one: Spend your money in the following order.

1 - Damper, because they are REQUIRED
2 - Bodywork. I suggest GP Composites, I've wrecked mine 3 times and not even a crack in them.
3 - Suspension. Because the stock stuff is GARBAGE. Especially on the R6.
4 - Rear-sets. Get something you can buy the parts seperately, you'll need them.
5 - Lots of Gearing choices, especially important if you race at tracks that have varied lay-outs.

Then I would start worrying about getting a few more ponies to the pavement.

Thanks for the advice Rocky...I am leaning towards a new 6...Don't know why I just feel like I should get a new one...

·
Banned
4,008 Posts
RockyR6 said:
Ed said:

rennsport plastics
sato frame sliders
grave clutch protector
pitbull swingarm spools
earache's barends
scotts/ohlins damper
graves shark guard
graves slide stop kit
graves velocity stacks
520 conversion
K&N air filter
pine air freshener

You forgot to put a No Fear sticker on there. That alone gives 5 hp on top. :mrgreen:
i always figured ed would have a rainbow sticker on his bike :mrgreen:

but honestly rocky has the best idea for ya, spend a little less on a slightly older bike and use that money to get your ride up to par for you, and also to buy tires and other race goodies you need. like an umbrella :mrgreen: girl :mrgreen:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.