Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Yamaha ZYF R6S that I've wired with a new lights kit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZGCKB...abc_VM1C2G5G78HZT8TP7KSR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The lights mostly work great and look good. Weren't too hard to get working and connected.

The absolutely awful nightmare headache comes from the blue wire going to the brakes.

There are 5 wires from the brake light. Two yellow, one red, one black, one green.

When connected to the red or green, the red light overrides it as if it's braking and will not stop. We can't program it.

The black has no effect.

The yellow only work when the turn signal is on and pulses with the signal.

We can't figure it out at all and have spent hours agonizing over it. Please help us.

I've gone over every diagram in manuals and created comment in the Amazon page. Nothing helps, they just confirm full red means you don't have it on right.

Bike is salvaged and all wires may not be as they should be.

Waiting to hear back from the manufacturer as well.

Some sources refer to a white wire from the tail light , but on this model and setup it appears to be absent. Would this make the brake lights impossible to wire with such a kit or would standard motorcycle design say I should have somewhere dedicated to connect this to?

Side note. I posted this to another R6 forum that looks almost identical. I don't know the difference.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Have the same bike.

There's a lot of vibration on a motorcycle; which means you're going to need to wrap * and * secure those wires to something. Otherwise the vibration will eventually rub through the insulation and cause shorting.

Look at your power consumption. These are racing bikes... and more especially the older bikes like ours have very little overhead for accessories.

You may or may not find some part of this helpful:

===========================================================================================================================================

Regarding the issue posted about, the product appears to have a red, black and blue wires. Correct?
Am I correct in assuming that black is ground, red is 12v with ignition on, and blue receives 12v when braking?

In the diagram, #67 is supposed to be the tail/brake light. #66 to the right of it, is just the license plate light.
It appears to have:
  • black (ground),
  • blue/red (12v from fuse headlight fuse #47)
  • yellow (12v via #53 rear brake light switch or #43 green/yellow front brake light switch)

I believe blue/red is a constant 12v whenever the ignition is on... basically your running light for the tail.

Yellow on the other hand provides 12v only when either/both of the brake light switches are actuated.

Not quite sure why but it appears that power from yellow is also tied into #56 high-beam ("dimmer") switch and #52 headlight relay activation. Brake light switches as far as I'm aware, have no impact on high-beam light activation, regardless of high-beam (dimmer) switch position... so dunno if that's a mistake or what.

===========================================================================================================================================

The photo you provided, seems to have the tail light wired into colors I don't see on the diagram. You'll need to peal back that electrical tape to find out what they did. They probably cut and transferred sections of wire make up for some other section being too short. So you may find that wires have changed colors at least a couple of times.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have the same bike.

There's a lot of vibration on a motorcycle; which means you're going to need to wrap * and * secure those wires to something. Otherwise the vibration will eventually rub through the insulation and cause shorting.

Look at your power consumption. These are racing bikes... and more especially the older bikes like ours have very little overhead for accessories.

You may or may not find some part of this helpful:

Regarding the issue posted about, the product appears to have a red, black and blue wires. Correct?
Am I correct in assuming that black is ground, red is 12v with ignition on, and blue receives 12v when braking?
View attachment 376729
In the diagram, #67 is supposed to be the tail/brake light. #66 to the right of it, is just the license plate light.
It appears to have:
  • black (ground),
  • blue/red (12v from fuse headlight fuse #47)
  • yellow (12v via #53 rear brake light switch or #43 green/yellow front brake light switch)

I believe blue/red is a constant 12v whenever the ignition is on... basically your running light for the tail.

Yellow on the other hand provides 12v only when either/both of the brake light switches are actuated.

Not quite sure why but it appears that power from yellow is also tied into #56 high-beam ("dimmer") switch and #52 headlight relay activation. Brake light switches as far as I'm aware, have no impact on high-beam light activation, regardless of high-beam (dimmer) switch position... so dunno if that's a mistake or what.

The photo you provided, seems to have the tail light wired into colors I don't see on the diagram. You'll need to peal back that electrical tape to find out what they did. They probably cut and transferred sections of wire make up for some other section being too short. So you may find that wires have changed colors at least a couple of times.
I have the manual and I've looked at this exact diagram. Just can't find it on the bike.

And the bike does not come with a blue wire from the tail, the blue wire in question is from the LED kit.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,120 Posts
Those two yellow wires aren’t actually connected. It is an unfortunate layout of the drawing. There is no dot at the intersection to indicate they are connected. The lines just cross on the page.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those two yellow wires aren’t actually connected. It is an unfortunate layout of the drawing. There is no dot at the intersection to indicate they are connected. The lines just cross on the page.
These two yellow wires go to like a brown and dark green color with some little covered connectors. I don't know where they go.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
@8Ball - That explains it; I overlooked that detail. Thank you. @Dragonclaw - What 8Ball is basically saying is, we can ignore that part of the diagram; it's not relevant to anything we're looking at.

@Dragonclaw - Again, you'll have to trace those wires back and pull apart their electrical tape. If it's not an '08 or no longer has the harness from one, you can use a volt meter to determine what wire has what function. Obviously the running light wire will have 12v with ignition on. Accordingly, the brake light wire will only have 12v when either of the brake light switches are pressed. Turn signals can be sorted out similarly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@8Ball - That explains it; I overlooked that detail. Thank you. @Dragonclaw - What 8Ball is basically saying is, we can ignore that part of the diagram; it's not relevant to anything we're looking at.

@Dragonclaw - Again, you'll have to trace those wires back and pull apart their electrical tape. If it's not an '08 or no longer has the harness from one, you can use a volt meter to determine what wire has what function. Obviously the running light wire will have 12v with ignition on. Accordingly, the brake light wire will only have 12v when either of the brake light switches are pressed. Turn signals can be sorted out similarly.
Yeah but I don't have my volt meter with me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Intuit

Can you tell me how your brake light acts when in neutral vs in gear when bike has the key but the engine isn't on?

Should this all work without me starting the bike since it's going off of battery?

The red light in the tail seems to be on all the time and only a VERY slight change in brigtness can be seen in the tail when brake is applied. Is this normal?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Though, last night, the tail light started acting funny. It was dark until I hit the brake and then it lit up. But eventually the red light came on all the time like how it normally does.

Does the 08 have anything that would affect lighting or electricity with the kickstand down or anything like that?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,120 Posts
These two yellow wires go to like a brown and dark green color with some little covered connectors. I don't know where they go.
I was responding to Intuit’s post about the yellow wires in the diagram.
As far as what’s on your bike, who knows? When you’re dealing with a hacked up harness, the only way to know is get a meter I the wires and figure it out. You want a wire that is always 12v when the key is on. That will be your tail light. A wire that has 12 volts when the brake is applied will be your brake light. It should be a yellow wire in the tail. There should be a black wire somewhere on the bike that has 0 ohms measured to ground. That is your ground. The turn signals are probably the green and brown wires you’ve connected the yellow wires to. If they work properly then the yellow wires on the Light assembly are your turn signals. Figuring out which it brake and which is tail light between the red and green wires should be easy.

The blue/red, black and yellow wires should be on the left side of the tail behind the fairings in a triangular plug

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was responding to Intuit’s post about the yellow wires in the diagram.
As far as what’s on your bike, who knows? When you’re dealing with a hacked up harness, the only way to know is get a meter I the wires and figure it out. You want a wire that is always 12v when the key is on. That will be your tail light. A wire that has 12 volts when the brake is applied will be your brake light. It should be a yellow wire in the tail. There should be a black wire somewhere on the bike that has 0 ohms measured to ground. That is your ground. The turn signals are probably the green and brown wires you’ve connected the yellow wires to. If they work properly then the yellow wires on the Light assembly are your turn signals. Figuring out which it brake and which is tail light between the red and green wires should be easy.

The blue/red, black and yellow wires should be on the left side of the tail behind the fairings in a triangular plug
Well, I'm positive the two yellow wires are signals. One for left and one for right. I tested then with the lights kit. The LED lights only come on red (which should only happen with brakes applied) and pulses with the turn signal on each of the yellow wires.

I know the green and red both have constant power, so they turn the LED lights red all the time. Overrides it.

The black is the ground and it does nothing.

I've tested them all several times.

I just can't find out which wire ONLY gets power when the brake is applied.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did find which wire set engages the brake light using the foot lever. But if I crimp into that wire, I assume it won't work if I use the hand brake.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,120 Posts
I did find which wire set engages the brake light using the foot lever. But if I crimp into that wire, I assume it won't work if I use the hand brake.
Where did you find that? The wire from the hand lever and the foot lever are tied together. You will want to tie into that in the tail. They both should operate the light.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where did you find that? The wire from the hand lever and the foot lever are tied together. You will want to tie into that in the tail. They both should operate the light.
If you follow the cable from the foot brake it kind of trails up towards the hand brake. If you disconnect the set, it's a little brown clip with like 2-3 wires. If you unplug this, the foot brake light doesn't come on. Didn't try the hand brake. It was about 0300 and I was too exhausted to fully test out this new information. It's under the tank.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,120 Posts
I know the green and red both have constant power, so they turn the LED lights red all the time. Overrides it.
What do you mean by this statement? The constant 12volts will be coming from the bike, not your taillight. “Overrides it”? What do you mean?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,120 Posts
The brake light wires go into the tail up stream of that brown plug. The plug you are looking for is in the tail. The wires you are looking for are in the tail. Post a pic of the left side of the tail.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What do you mean by this statement? The constant 12volts will be coming from the bike, not your taillight. “Overrides it”? What do you mean?
When I say LED lights I mean the kit I bought. Not the bikes lights.

The LED lights have a red and black wire that goes to the bikes battery. LED can be on without the bike being on because the main part comes from the battery.

The blue wire from the LED kit box runs to where the brake light cable should go. I need to splice it onto the right wire to get power to it only when brakes are applied, either brake.

Imagine LED lights are on. I can change the color and do whatever.

When the blue wire gets power, it assumes the brake is on and changes all LED lights to red no matter what they were before. So that's why you can't put it on anything with contant power. Understand?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,120 Posts
Ok now I understand. You aren’t trying to wire up the integrated tail light, you are trying to hook up you glowy lights to it. Gotcha!
Does the brake light work as intended? The red and green wires on the taillight should not BOTH be powered all the time. One of them should only have 12 volts when the brake is applied. One of those wires should be connected to a yellow wire somewhere in the tail. That is your brake light. If your brake light is always on, there is a problem with your brake light switches and you have to figure that out before your LEDS will ever work

1 - 20 of 23 Posts