Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok now I understand. You aren’t trying to wire up the integrated tail light, you are trying to hook up you glowy lights to it. Gotcha!
Does the brake light work as intended? The red and green wires on the taillight should not BOTH be powered all the time. One of them should only have 12 volts when the brake is applied. One of those wires should be connected to a yellow wire somewhere in the tail. That is your brake light. If your brake light is always on, there is a problem with your brake light switches and you have to figure that out before your LEDS will ever work
I was concerned this was the issue. We'll have to tear up the tail wiring, then. It's probably the green wire, but the wiring must be wrong.

They previously had a lights kit in this bike we found out. Maybe they changed the wires. So I should follow the green wire probably and find out where it goes.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,129 Posts
Any advice or tips for brake light switches? Are there any boxes with wires or just connectors.
The front switch is mounted right below the lever. Two wires with spade connectors clip on the terminals. There is a 6 wire plug on the right side window of the frame, and the little brown plug you’ve already found. The brown wire is constant 12 vdc. The downstream side of the brake switches are green/yellow (for the front) and yellow for the rear. The green/yellow wire from the front switch goes from the switch through the 6 wire plug then connects in the harness to the yellow wire from the rear switch (upstream of the brown plug you found), then travels to the tail. That’s it. Look at the diagram Intuit posted previously. Everything you need is in that drawing.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts