Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Can't launch a 600 for the life of me

13K views 46 replies 8 participants last post by  redisdeadrideblue 
#1 ·
I don't know what it is with me but launching a 600 didn't agree with me. Tried everywhere from 6k to 10k rpms. Best 60 FT managed was. 2.0x. I know issue lies in feathering the clutch rpms just drop once I move. I don't have the slips in front of me but few 2.1,2.2 60s best pass managed was 11.2xx at 128. 100% stock bike down to stock filter and exhaust

#4 ·
It's not that important to me to start changing parts for drag. I'm a circuit guy and just decided to take her to the strip.

Like I said I know the problem is with me and clutch work. Even leaving at 10k once I move my rpms drop to about 3k. I know it's my clutch work. Owell I guess times are not terriable for the first time with the 6

#9 ·
the best thing for launching will be lowering the bike. It wouldn't be too bad to just switch out links in the rear and strap the front end when going to the track. I'm 10.5's all stock with lowered rear and i'm going to strap the front this season along with a few other mods to hopefully get into the 9s....if it ever stops snowing up here so i can get my bike out...

#18 ·
Ant yes hit it on the head. Either bogging down hard like drops to like 3k rpms or picking the front wheel up a bit. It was really for fun I prefer my right and lefts but I for sure will go back to the strip soon

Also was getting crazy wobbles 3rd to 4th. Again my doing with the weight transfer during shifting

#20 ·
Shifting you should not be moving anything other than you foot and right wrist, slightly. Go GP, preload the shifter, and ever so slightly blip the throttle. By third gear, you should be locked on around that gas tank and behind the bubble.

#19 ·
Whoa, that 60'.... :eek5

You need to feed that bitch some gas and work that clutch homeslice! Launch at like 12k and judiciously let the clutch out! Dont dump it, but 2.0 60's are all bad.

#21 · (Edited)
You don't say lol. It's my clutch work for sure I know I'm at fault. Very different for me. First time ever at a drag strip with launch control and boost. Don't ask why I can't launch a 6. I have zero issues leaving on the drag bike gtx35r busa. Idk maybe it's the magic launch control and traction control on that cool gold box ;)

Attachments

#25 ·
I guess to a point. Like I said I'm a circuit guy I was just bored and seeing what she could do. I will take it again to get better at launching but nothing to serious. IMO not meant really for the strip anyway feel much better home on a circuit. Don't have an event till this weekend at summit point and wanted to take her out for some fun

#31 ·
Turboblew,
Haven't got that many clean runs. Been getting bitched at for not doing a license test yet. Best it's seen was 181mph average 175-180ish. I'm at the point where I'm don't want to ride it anymore. I'm 140lbs soaking wet on a good day. Peace of mind with me with it is the motec and awesome traction control

#32 ·
Haven't got that many clean runs. Been getting bitched at for not doing a license test yet. Best it's seen was 181mph average 175-180ish. I'm at the point where I'm don't want to ride it anymore. I'm 140lbs soaking wet on a good day. Peace of mind with me with it is the motec and awesome traction control
Wow, they let you run that unlicensed.... I thought our track was sketchy...:laugh

#37 ·
Well, I gotta bail, but good luck. Shoot me a pm any time. You can check out my 674 drag build too, if you want. Got a few mods on that one now.

#42 ·
11.2 isn't that bad for a 600. The best I ever did on my gsxr 600 was an 11.0. I feel like I could go a tad bit quicker on the R6, but I don't want to bake the clutch practicing at the dragstrip. I'm a roadracer, so having the best launch ain't gonna help me if I can't figure out how to go fast in the corners.

#46 ·
Youre correct... but if you can only claim that # if you can run that each & every time, right off the trailer.
I hear guys saying "I run X:xx lap-time time at X track" but when you look at their race record, they ran that claimed PB once in a low turnout grid with ideal conditions.
There are guys that can run out laps 2-4 seconds faster than my flying lap PB. :lmao

Also look at a race where the top 5 are within a second of each other... total race times being super close.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.