Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello im new to the forums here.

I have my 2009 R6 and my family just moved from Portland to the bay. I went to title my bike here in California and the DMV says my motorcycle must have 7500 miles. I only have 5200 miles. Is there a way to add miles on the odometer? Any way around this?

Thank you

Jake

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
If you moved, then you dont need to have >7500 miles. I only had <3k miles when I moved, still can register.

If you bought a bike from out of state, then you need >7500 miles. As simple as that.

Are/were you a Cali resident already and your family just moved with the bike? Or did you really move with the bike?

Just keep it registered in your family member's name that just moved, if its in their name already

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
What kind of dumb shit law is that?

Just order another odometer off ebay if you really need it to have over 7500 miles. It shouldn't be too hard to find one. If you don't want to do that and are willing to do a little work, you can just take the chain off, start the bike on a stand, and let it spin the front sprocket in 6th gear. It isn't smart, but it will work(albeit VERY slowly and be a huge waste of gas).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Yamaha...2009|Model:YZF+R6&hash=item33967f9baa&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-2007-2...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce9966568&vxp=mtr

Just buy one of those, use it to register, and then sell it(or your lower mile one) later.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
lie or ride it around for awhile. either way, you're going to hell for your sins... :D

s3aturnr

·
Registered
766 Posts
Why do you have to have 7500 miles. What good can a law like this do? Never heard that before. Is that a way to make new owners keep their stuff longer?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Its so you dont cross the border to Oregon where there is no sales tax, then bring it in to CA new and avoid the sales tax. Also, emissions are different in other states, so it keeps people from skirting the emissions law.

And if the bikes are the same in terms of emissions (50 State), it doesnt matter what state you bought it in, as was the case with my 848 from Washington. The miles are not an issue if that is the case.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
If you have a 49 state bike, however, you may need to just buy another cluster, or borrow one from someone local.

·
Vroom Vroom
611 Posts
Read below.

This happened to me. There is a thread of you search for it.

Your options are:
1. Get a new speedo, then swap it back when you are done. The title will state +7500 miles though.
2. Go on a ~7500 roadtrip.
3. The DMV clerk can put something along the lines of incorrect mileage stating the speedo is wrong. But then your title will say "Not Actual Miles." Not actual miles will be a flag on the vin report and may be a red flag to a buyer unless he believes your story.
Use the search function and read the thread below.
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299890&highlight=7500+dmv

I went through a similar issue as I bought my bike from a guy that came down from Oregon and only had 3000 miles. The DMV listed the title as Not Actual Miles so now it looks like my speedo has the wrong miles, but they are really actual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went to sf moto yesterday and one of the mechanics said I can take a drill to the odo sensor and raise the 1200 miles I need. Does anyone know what he is talking about?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I went to sf moto yesterday and one of the mechanics said I can take a drill to the odo sensor and raise the 1200 miles I need. Does anyone know what he is talking about?
No, I wouldnt do that. Im not even sure exactly how you would do that.

What I would do, get on the Bay Area Rider Forum. Post a thread there asking to borrow one of the local racers extra clusters with the appropriate miles. Offer beer, weed, or monetary compensation and you might find a helpful person. That is a pretty good, and helpful forum. You may also find some help on which dmvs may be more kicked back than others.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Couldn't you say the cluster on there is from another bike and your bike actually has 9k miles. Or be like I changed my gearing so my odo is off and actually have 9k miles

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Couldn't you say the cluster on there is from another bike and your bike actually has 9k miles. Or be like I changed my gearing so my odo is off and actually have 9k miles
Thats putting a lot of faith in the intelligence of the DMV employee who I assure you, does not give a fcuk.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
OP, the bottom line is that the DMV clerk you dealt with was misinformed. Or perhaps they misunderstood what you were trying to do.

Here's the scoop. The California Air Resources Board (CARB) has set forth more strict emissions standards for vehicles to be operated in California than the other 49 states have adopted. Therefore, manufacturers sometimes produce two version of the same vehicle; a California model and a 49 state model. For this reason, California does not allow you to register and NEW 49 state model. Here's the part that people can't seem to grasp: California defines a NEW vehicle as any having less than 7,500 miles. That's why the clerk said you couldn't register it. However, he/she was misinformed because there is an exemption that allows you to register your NEW 49 state model if it was previously registered by you in your previous state of residence. If the vehicle in question is already a 50 state model then you can register it in California regardless of weather or not it is new.

These two pages spell it all out, read them closely.
How To Register A Vehicle from Out-of-State (Nonresident Vehicle)
Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Can You Register it in California? FFVR 29

You don't need to go ride it around til it has more miles, you don't need to use a dril to run up the odometer, you don't need to swap to a cluster with more miles. You just need to go back to the DMV and explain to a supervisor who has a ****ing clue what you are trying to do.

I have experience dealing with all of this before. I have registered many vehicle is California, both new and not-new, 49 and 50 state. Let me know if you have any questions. If I can't answer them I will refer you to the DMV.

·
wat?
722 Posts
OP, the bottom line is that the DMV clerk you dealt with was misinformed. Or perhaps they misunderstood what you were trying to do.

Here's the scoop. The California Air Resources Board (CARB) has set forth more strict emissions standards for vehicles to be operated in California than the other 49 states have adopted. Therefore, manufacturers sometimes produce two version of the same vehicle; a California model and a 49 state model. For this reason, California does not allow you to register and NEW 49 state model. Here's the part that people can't seem to grasp: California defines a NEW vehicle as any having less than 7,500 miles. That's why the clerk said you couldn't register it. However, he/she was misinformed because there is an exemption that allows you to register your NEW 49 state model if it was previously registered by you in your previous state of residence. If the vehicle in question is already a 50 state model then you can register it in California regardless of weather or not it is new.

These two pages spell it all out, read them closely.
How To Register A Vehicle from Out-of-State (Nonresident Vehicle)
Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Can You Register it in California? FFVR 29

You don't need to go ride it around til it has more miles, you don't need to use a dril to run up the odometer, you don't need to swap to a cluster with more miles. You just need to go back to the DMV and explain to a supervisor who has a ****ing clue what you are trying to do.

I have experience dealing with all of this before. I have registered many vehicle is California, both new and not-new, 49 and 50 state. Let me know if you have any questions. If I can't answer them I will refer you to the DMV.
This. As long as you bought (and registered it) in Oregon prior to establishing residency in CA, then you are fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No the bike needs to have 7500 miles. So I need to remove the drive wheel cable and stick it into a drill and ad the miles. The dmv comes out and looks at the odo. Anyone know how to do this? Sf moto says they deal with this issue all the time.

·
wat?
722 Posts
I went to title my bike here in California and the DMV says my motorcycle must have 7500 miles. I only have 5200 miles.

P.S. your story makes no sense. If you registered it in Portland, you don't need 7500 miles, regardless of what the min wage dipshit at the DMV or the scooter shop said.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts