Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday at my track day, had issues getting my bike to start after first session. When it was cold, it fired up right away, ran ok on the track, etc. Brought it into the pits, and about 45 min later went for another session, but couldn't get it started.

Wouldn't even try firing, unless you hold throttle wide open. When I did that, 1 or 2 cylinders would fire, enough to sort of keep it running, if the throttle was held open, but would die as soon as you let off.

Also seems a bit doggy in the lower rpms, not sure if that could be a contributor. Maybe I'm just used to my zx10r?

Bike is a 99 R6. Pipe/air filter, jetted by previous owner, unsure on jet sizes.

Does this sound like a pilot jet issue? Sticky float/s?

·
she already got me broke
168 Posts
yea that is common issue from carburated bikes. i do have a `99 also, in hot weather i barely open throttle when i start it. you could have probly dirty carbs, or some clogged jets. i cleaned and sync my carbs a few weeks ago its running fine now. but its a yearly thing you have to perform on these bikes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I went through and cleaned it all out this spring. Thinking about doing it again, as it sits for weeks between track days. Especially if it's a sticky float possibly causing an issue.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Doesn't sound like clogged jets. It sounds like there's way too much fuel. I'd check for sticky floats and note the jet sizes, then do some research and see if they are right for your application. Check where the fuel screws are set too. Maybe one has backed out, or even fallen out. (You never know, I've had it happen!)

The other thing you can try is to fire it up without the airbox and look for any fuel that may be leaking into the venturi. Shut it off and take a look down there with the throttle open too. You have to look quickly before it evaporates.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you get this figured out? I'm having the same issue. I've been told it was my floaters. Someone else said it was my jets.. and then another said it was my fuel pump haha.. but I figure it's the floats honestly..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts