Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does anybody know about the flo-commander kit for the R6? The guy at the place that makes them says that it takes almost all of the low and midrange problems out and adds about 5 hp depending on what setup you have. I am very interested because of the stumble in the midrange.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
ya from what is says on the flo-commander site and bgv's site, it has something to do with equalizing the pressure between the carbs to enhance performance. I guess it helps with keeping them better sync'd from 3k to redline

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Is this like a tube that goes from the intake tubes to the carbs to pressurizze themn ore something.

I think I heard about this somewhere...

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
dial-up my man

We're talkin about a half hour swing to get to the site, let it load, read it, and then come back to this site...

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
for a man of your intellect, I'da thunk you'd have cable and join the rest of us in the modern age........

Anyways, for your convenience.......

When most any carburetor is being designed the first time, one of the most complicated areas to make work correctly is the transitional areas, where the carbs are trying to deliver a smooth power/ fuel curve area as the rpm`s go from the pilot to the mid circuit, then the mid to the main or top end circuit. This is where most of the stumbling and dead spots occur that make the power drop or be erratic. The other big issue is keeping the carbs synchronized after you leave the idle area and bring the rpm up, (ever watch your synchronization gauge after bring up the rpm`s, even after having them all even at idle?)
Also air moving around in the air box, gives different pressures to each of the four carbs , causing them to run way out of synchronization, resulting in inconsistent, uneven, erratic power.

The Flo-Commander takes all fuel air circuits, from the MAIN AIR JET LOCATION, (via our tubing adapters, and tubing), and routes them all into one location, so that each carb gets exactly the same amount of air all the time. The result is much smoother transition areas I previously talked about as well as all other areas being enhanced as well. The icing on the cake is being able to adjust the amount of air you are letting into the system, thus you can meter the air/fuel mixture, from one location, without doing anything to the carbs. And the system can even be installed without having to go into or removing the carbs at all, under normal circumstances.

The Flo-Commander ties/blends each of the carburetor's fuel to air mixtures to one, Thus eliminating the results of uneven air pressures around the carb air jets causing the multiple fuel/air mixtures of the diff. carbs to thus be much better synchronized through-out the entire RPM range (approx. 3000 to red-line or 1/16 - 1/8 throttle position to W.O.T.) instead of just at idle. You adjust the fuel/air mixture of all the carbs at once by adjusting the thumbscrew to add or limit the air going into the main circuit. The carbs in which we remove the main air-jet to install the tubing adapter have a carefully sized and shaped restriction inside the tubing adapter. We use this, and use the same restrictions already in place (on the carbs we just press the adapter down over the air-jet), to ensure that even if the flo-com. adjustment is opened way up it won't be dangerously lean. When opening it all the way, it does allow a certain amount more air through (to go slightly leaner in the mixture) because even though the restriction is the same size, the other effects such as air velocity & flow, in the tubing, allow / enable it. You then have a more broad range of adjustment.

The first sought after, and now acquired goal, is smoother circuit-to-circuit transition areas, as well as much better synchronization. The next sought after and acquired goal is being able to adjust (to a certain degree) multiple carburetors from one point.

End result; more TQ & HP, a more smooth and predictable power curve, convenience of tuning, the flo-c. will aid in determining where your jet size should be, if you make radical engine mods, while allowing the finer adjusting to be done with the unit itself. How much power you gain will vary , but, we have seen averages of 2 or 3 in a few areas, up to 10 or 12 and higher in others. An over all average gain in a particular situation, as long as the installer of the Flo-Commander at least average skills as far as a conscientious mechanic, and (DEPENDING ON WHAT WORK HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE & HOW CORRECTLY IT WAS DONE) has been somewhere between 4 & 6 hp , and so importantly a MUCH SMOOTHER application of that power.

Jet Kit info

This is covered in the instructions that come with your F.C. system as well.

If have installed a “Dyno-Jet” Jet Kit, you may have a plug or restrictor in the main air passage. This is a list we have compiled so you will have an idea if you will need to remove a plug or restrictor so the passage can be used to it’s original flow potential again. You will be able to set up the Flo-Commander w/no problem, no matter what jet kit brand or type you may have installed. The list here is handy, as it will tell you if you should purchase our handy super time saver Plug/Restrictor Removal system. You can remove them without the system, but the few bucks for the system is well worth it even if you only ever use it once. They are just a convenience we offer to you. If you have another brand/type Jet Kit, the passage is most likely not plugged or restricted. As a “rule of thumb” if you are removing a restrictor, and the jetting was “Right On”, you can go up just one size on the main jets, to bring the mixture back into a neutral position, and fine tune with the F.C. If you remove a plug, you can go up 1 or 2 sizes with the mains and fine tune with the F.C. These are basic settings/suggestions. You could make up the difference with just the F.C., but because you would be closing it substantially to get the mixture back rich enough, you wouldn’t be getting as much of a synchronization effect, as you would not be allowing the circuit to be utilized as much.

Many times though we have found that the Jet system installer, did not put the plugs or restrictors in anyway, in which case it’s an extra easy install.
Corrector/Restrictor mean the same thing below.
R-6 99 – 01 stage 1 “correctors”

·
Registered
101 Posts
Alright.... im confused. So far I have a slip on, and im going to be purchasing one of ivans jet kits. Should I even bother with the jet kit if im going to buy this flo-commander as well, or am i just lost and not understanding how this thing works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
flo-commander

Let me tell you about my experience. I have a 2000 R6 and I had a problem with midrange power. Basically when I was holding at a steady throttle and accelerating through a turn going wideopen throttle, the bike would stumble for a sec and then come on strong. After spending days on the dyno and jetting everywhere and trying different jet kits I could not get rid of the stumble. I finally bought the Ivans kit and it helped a little but I still could not get rid of the stumble during the transition. So I came across the F/C and said well I'll give it a try. Now let me tell you after installing it the bike ran awesome. I put it back on the dyno and made some find tuning and it is dialed in perfect. I picked up 6.7 hp at the rear wheel and best of all the stumble is gone. Also, now when I go up on the mountain I can make a quick adjustment and lean it out and be dialed back in. From talking to the manufacturer of the FC they told me that the FC will improve a jet kit. So my advice would be to buy the FC first give it a try, you may just need to shim your needles. If after you install the FC and make you final adjustments, and find that you still need some more then you could buy a jet kit. Also if you are having problems off idle then I would also buy the FC for the pilot circuit. This will help improve your low end power.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
101 Posts
Today was the first day I got to test my bike out. let me tell you, its hella fast with the micron pipe and flo commander. The power is steady all the way up till redline. I would highly recommend this to anyone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
QuickR6

I'm glad that everything worked out for you. Like I said it is AMAZING what the FC does to the bike. It took me a while to convince my friends that it was worth the money, but after they rode my bike and I kept blowing them away, they had to have one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well guys I got a '99 I got the K&N filter...Ivans jet kit, just got my brand new Blueflame EVO dualport scortched ti can from Hammy today (badass) and Im planning to get the flo-commander as well. My mech is gonna have his hands full so if any of you guys running the Ivans kit and flo commander let me kow if ya gots any tips

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hmmm.....well you know whats funny. I called Ivan today concerning the flo-commander. All I got from him was a NO NO NO NO. Thats all he said. No reasons whatsoever. I was calling to find out some info so I could decide which flo-commander to get.

He was like 'Why ruin all that hard work I put into it?" IM thinking..."Does Ivan feel that this a product in competition with his jet kit?" All I simply thought was possible was to use the 2 together. I must say I was pretty bumbed that he didnt offer a more technical reason as to why he avoids the flo-commander. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
kv1guy, I'm sorry to here about your experience with Ivans. I too had a similar experience but I wasn't going to say anything cause I thought he might have just been in a bad mood. My problem was that I purchased his kit for my bike to get rid of this bad flatspot that I had when I was holding the throttle steady and then beginning to accelerate. He say his kit would correct that problem. So I purchased it. However, after I installed it I was still having problems, it wasn't as bad but still there. So I began to tune the bike. I probably spent 12 hrs of dyno time trying to get rid of the flat spot. Talk to Ivans and he said I'm just not tuning it right. That was it, nothing else. So after that I found the Flo-commander and said what the heck I'll give it a try. Installed it and problem solved. Now all of my buddies just have the flo-commander and just shimmed their stock needles. When you order the flo-commander be sure to tell him you have the Ivans kit so that you can get the correct adapters, I think they are 5mm but I'm not sure. After using the Flo-commander it only makes sense. I mean on the Ivans kit you have to tap the main air jets and use main jets. So why not use the Flo, it not only syncronizes the carbs but instead of having to change out those air jets you just turn a screw. Makes much more sense

When I talked to the guy at Flo-commander he said that the Ivans was the BEST jet kit for the R6 and R1. I guess he doesn't know that Ivans doesn't think to highly of him. I know it would be very difficult for me to promote somebody's product if they didn't have any respect for me. The only other thing that I can say is that some people just don't have an open mind. I mean when you as a business person talk badly about someone else's product without being able to explain what makes yours better it only makes you look bad. I'm mean if these two companies got together there could be a lot of money made, cause they could setup a package combo and sell a jet kit and flo-commander then the customer would be set and both companies would make money.

I don't know just my opinion

·
Registered
57 Posts
02250 said:
kv1guy, I'm sorry to here about your experience with Ivans. I too had a similar experience but I wasn't going to say anything cause I thought he might have just been in a bad mood. My problem was that I purchased his kit for my bike to get rid of this bad flatspot that I had when I was holding the throttle steady and then beginning to accelerate. He say his kit would correct that problem. So I purchased it. However, after I installed it I was still having problems, it wasn't as bad but still there. So I began to tune the bike. I probably spent 12 hrs of dyno time trying to get rid of the flat spot. Talk to Ivans and he said I'm just not tuning it right. That was it, nothing else. So after that I found the Flo-commander and said what the heck I'll give it a try. Installed it and problem solved. Now all of my buddies just have the flo-commander and just shimmed their stock needles. When you order the flo-commander be sure to tell him you have the Ivans kit so that you can get the correct adapters, I think they are 5mm but I'm not sure. After using the Flo-commander it only makes sense. I mean on the Ivans kit you have to tap the main air jets and use main jets. So why not use the Flo, it not only syncronizes the carbs but instead of having to change out those air jets you just turn a screw. Makes much more sense

When I talked to the guy at Flo-commander he said that the Ivans was the BEST jet kit for the R6 and R1. I guess he doesn't know that Ivans doesn't think to highly of him. I know it would be very difficult for me to promote somebody's product if they didn't have any respect for me. The only other thing that I can say is that some people just don't have an open mind. I mean when you as a business person talk badly about someone else's product without being able to explain what makes yours better it only makes you look bad. I'm mean if these two companies got together there could be a lot of money made, cause they could setup a package combo and sell a jet kit and flo-commander then the customer would be set and both companies would make money.

I don't know just my opinion

Ya I hear ya on that. I talked to Steve at Peformance Design and he said that same things too. I told him bout my experiences with Ivan and he said he had heard the same thing several times. Im with you man they could both benefit in the same market if they worked together. I think Ivan is just insecure. I know he spent alot of time on the R6 jet kit...but just becasue someone else comes out with a good product thats a reason not to like it? I guess I will just use the combo of both and see what it gets me.

BTW ya Steve did tell me already bout those 5mm adapters....but thanks anyways.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Im jacked, i just ordered my flow commander 5 min ago. I cant wait to get it installed and see what the seat-o-pants meter reads for hp gains.

:hump

·
Registered
91 Posts
Very true loki. I like it because it fels like oyu got more for the insane amount of money mods cost for our bikes. :cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.