Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
ive got a carbon rs3 yoshi on my 2001 r6.

...since ive had it, it has some light road rash on the bottom edge.
im going to cut it. Just 70mm (so the clamp doesnt sit over the yoshi badge).

Although where the clamp has been siting is nice and shiney, still lacquered it seems... I can feel the texture of the carbon everywhere else. Clear coat doesnt hold up to well down here in australia, and its also probably been on since 2001 :eek5

Do I need to mask off the still lacquered part, rub it down slightly to take some of the 'layer'off, then clearcoat it all with a rattle can?

on a side note, I will be removing the pillion footpeg, and manufacturing a new exhaust bracket, il aim for the 'shiney' band witht the clamp...any links to a bracket for this?

Any advice, comments,ridicules welcomed

thanks peeps:YEA

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cut. Came out good.
Used dremel to cut through the carbon. The marking I made was hard to see with the carbon dust when cutting, I used a wrap of insulation tape and followed that edge. Turning the can more than moving the dremel...which sounds awkward, but was actually quite easy.
Hack saw for the packing.
and a cut off/die grinder for the baffle and Straightened up the cut with a drop saw.
The end cap was silcone sealed slightly, cut the carbon length ways and gentley prised apart.

just need to sort the laquer and bracket.

had to cut the baffle pipe and re weld.. not neatest of job since its holed (mesh) already. It's solid and the rest of the can and packing will hold it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts