Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into getting a few new pieces for my bike. I was wandering if the carbon/fiberglass looks a lot different than 100% carbon fiber, and to see if anyone had any experience with the carbon/fiberglass. I'm guessing that it's just fiberglass wrapped in carbon fiber, but figured I'd get some opinions first. So it should look the same maybe?

With the 100% carbon fiber costing so much more, I would rather go with the carbon/fiberglass if it will look the same. I'm purely looking for aesthetics, not too concerned with weight reduction.

This is where I'm looking at the parts.
http://www.crownmotousa.com/shop/category/yamaha/yzf-r6/2008-2009

·
Registered
259 Posts
save the money and get carbon/fiberglass.

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
R6 Candy said it right, the only way you're gonna know the difference is if you cut the piece in half and look inside. I am planning on getting a few things from crownmoto as well....in about a month, sad I have to wait.

·
Insert nonsense here
5,092 Posts
Pure Carbon is A LOT lighter. The fiberglass backing adds a lot of weight. I know first hand. :fact

The fiberglass backed carbon weighs just as much and on some pieces even more than the factory ones.

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
First off, he said he didn't care about weight, it's all for looks. Second, yes carbon fiber is lighter then fiber glass but I don't see it making that big a difference if you're only replacing say...the front fender or maybe you tire hugger. If you replace all your fairings with carbon fiber I'd be willing to bet that it would only weigh a few lbs less then replacing all your fairings with fiberglass. Probably not that big of a deal for a street rider or even an AMA privateer racer. Do the pros even use carbon fiber? Probably not worth the money if you're trying to save weight. You could probably buy new rims for the price off all the carbon fiber. It'll shave off more weight and add to the handling of the bike. Looks on the other hand, carbon fiber is the bees knees if you ask me.

·
R6 Junkie
2,534 Posts
Pure Carbon is A LOT lighter. The fiberglass backing adds a lot of weight. I know first hand. :fact

The fiberglass backed carbon weighs just as much and on some pieces even more than the factory ones.
So do I from the same company...... I didn't weigh the pieces I had but there was not that big of a diff. it was the front fender, rear hugger and the ram air covers.

·
Insert nonsense here
5,092 Posts
First off, he said he didn't care about weight, it's all for looks. Second, yes carbon fiber is lighter then fiber glass but I don't see it making that big a difference if you're only replacing say...the front fender or maybe you tire hugger. If you replace all your fairings with carbon fiber I'd be willing to bet that it would only weigh a few lbs less then replacing all your fairings with fiberglass. Probably not that big of a deal for a street rider or even an AMA privateer racer. Do the pros even use carbon fiber? Probably not worth the money if you're trying to save weight. You could probably buy new rims for the price off all the carbon fiber. It'll shave off more weight and add to the handling of the bike. Looks on the other hand, carbon fiber is the bees knees if you ask me.
You are right, he said he was going for looks. Why was this thread even started again? :dunce:

So do I from the same company...... I didn't weigh the pieces I had but there was not that big of a diff. it was the front fender, rear hugger and the ram air covers.
And there is why. You are dealing with small pieces. With those, yeah its not that big of a difference. But with the side strakes and the lowers there is a significant difference.

·
R6 Junkie
2,534 Posts
And there is why. You are dealing with small pieces. With those, yeah its not that big of a difference. But with the side strakes and the lowers there is a significant difference.
I also have the mids from there too and they are the fiberglass/carbon and they're lighter than the stock pieces. The small pieces i listed were just the ones i received from them 1st when i was told i was getting the 100% and didn't, hence how I know the diff. between those pieces.

But anywho there's been enough debate over the carbon BS on here. the bottom line is most people buy the carbon based on pure aesthetics(as did I and prob. you also). So as I answered the op's question...... its not worth the extra money for the 100% ...... imo

·
Insert nonsense here
5,092 Posts
I also have the mids from there too and they are the fiberglass/carbon and they're lighter than the stock pieces. The small pieces i listed were just the ones i received from them 1st when i was told i was getting the 100% and didn't, hence how I know the diff. between those pieces.

But anywho there's been enough debate over the carbon BS on here. the bottom line is most people buy the carbon based on pure aesthetics(as did I and prob. you also). So as I answered the op's question...... its not worth the extra money for the 100% ...... imo
Yeah, I was wondering why he even asked this when he clearly stated that he was going for looks only.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
It all looks great to me, shop by price if your not worried about weight!

·
Registered
3 Posts
just depends on what company makes them as to wether one is lighter than the other. Ours , the carbon-fiberglass actually weighs less than the full carbon part. It also cost less for cf/fg, much less.

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
Still waiting a reply back from CFride, looks like good products and good prices.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts