Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
faster than a turtle XP
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres my dilemma.i got my wheels powder coated so they got rid of all the gold anodize even where the bearings and all the other good stuff go. now they powder coated everything except the areas where it makes contact other parts parts. so my question is where they didn't powder coat its the bare aluminum so if i put all the stuff back and water gets there wouldnt it oxidize or something so what do i do to the inside? or do i just leave like that?

·
faster than a turtle XP
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think taking a pair of CZ's to a powdercoating place, without having thought the plan through this far was a poor decision.
left out of state and had my dad drop them off and forgot to tell him to tell them not to touch the inside where the bearings and other stuff go. my fault so now trying to get it fixed before getting them mounted

·
MACGYVER 05 R6 NJ
4,033 Posts
They did it the right way. You dont want power coating where you mount anything. Just put a small amount of clear silicon if you want to water proof it.

·
faster than a turtle XP
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They did it the right way. You dont want power coating where you mount anything. Just put a small amount of clear silicon if you want to water proof it.
just some high temp silicone right? and how bout where the rotors and rim meet since its bare aluminum with the rotor would that oxidize?

·
R6 Junkie
2,534 Posts
Did they media blast them? Even inside the hub? if they did you may be fawked, I have heard that if you blast away some of the material(rim) that the bearings will not fit tight any more and just wont work? But if all fits good then your fine aluminum is pretty corrosive resistant.

·
MACGYVER 05 R6 NJ
4,033 Posts
just some high temp silicone right? and how bout where the rotors and rim meet since its bare aluminum with the rotor would that oxidize?
Any clear auto silicon will do it dosent have to be high temp. Put a small coating where the break rotor meats the rim and it will be ok.

·
faster than a turtle XP
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did they media blast them? Even inside the hub? if they did you may be fawked, I have heard that if you blast away some of the material(rim) that the bearings will not fit tight any more and just wont work? But if all fits good then your fine aluminum is pretty corrosive resistant.
the people that did my wheels specialize in making spoked motorcycle wheels so they know what they were doing. but just to make sure just went to make sure and theres still a little of the gold in there and its not smooth still has all the little ridges in the inside that it had before and the texture it had before so im good but wont know till tomorrow wish me luck :toocool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts